Trapdoor front sight

This is the forum to discuss your classic US military rifles from the beginning of the age of smokeless powder through WWII.
Major Tom

Trapdoor front sight

Post by Major Tom » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:12 am

Like most shooters of trapdoor rifles, I do not like aiming 2 feet low to hit the bullseye. Someone on this forum awhile back had a photo of how he corrected the problem. Being new to this website, I cannot find the original post or photo. Could someone help me out here? Thank you.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Trapdoor front sight

Post by Niner » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:14 pm

Welcome to the Milsurp After Hours. Can't find the photo you are speaking of right off, but try different things in the search feature.

One link I found by searching posts here is a link to a mathmatical formula for adjusting front sight height to compensate for point of impact on a target at various distances.

http://www.nicolausassociates.com/PDF/M ... tCalcs.pdf
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:04 pm

Welcome Tom,
I think it might haver been a bit before my time and as for the link above, confused the hell out of me :shock: :shock:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Major Tom

Post by Major Tom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:53 pm

I used a sturdy soft wire which I snuggly wrapped around the barrel at the front sight. One end of the wire bent straight up. I used end cutters to trim off the 'leg' until I got point of aim. Took that measurement, made a brass front sight to fit the original slot and pin.