Arisaka T39 or T99

Forum for firearms from the Orient.

Moderator: PeterN2

blackpennant

Arisaka T39 or T99

Post by blackpennant » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:17 pm

I would like to expand my collection into the Japanese side of Milsurp,
As I did when I wanted my Lee Enfield No. 4, I did a lot of research and a lot of asking of people more experienced in the field, with this I ended up with a really nice piece, that I am now the 'curator' of, I say this as a lot of these firearms (as mine is) were made well before I was born and will hopefully survive long after me, if they are looked after correctly.

so I am after information on the Arisaka, the Type 38 & the type 99, to help me find what i particularly want and what i should look out for (good points & bad points) this will not be an impulse buy, but as with my other firearms will be, hopefully with your help, a calculated and informed purchase.

all help is welcome.

(I am also interested in an old Henry Martini, but will look more into that and post it in the correct field accordingly)

Regards

Pete
Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean no one is watching
The Sniper. Out of sight, Out of Mind
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Arisaka T39 or T99

Post by Niner » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Old Riceone who posted just before you in this forum is the expert. He has probably more of them in his collection than anybody you are likely to run into in a milsurp site. However, he doesn't post often and what he is likely to prize is way beyond the one Jap gun for fun guys like you and me could grasp the significance of.

I do know condition is a big consideration. Many of the the Japanese rifles have met with all sorts of inflicted injury. From the most of them that had the mum filed off to the ones that were turned into sporters. And.. most of t hem have a decided crack in the buttstock...because that's the way the stocks were made with the joining of two pieces of wood. And another down side to them is that the ammo is decidedly expensive for shooting purposes. I've got one that isn't particularly pristine that I've never shot. I refuse to pay more for a box of twenty rounds than the rifle cost to begin with. :D
blackpennant

Re: Arisaka T39 or T99

Post by blackpennant » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi Niner,
many thanks for the reply, I have started to read up on them a bit back, and the 'cracked' stock is common as you said its because of how they were made, I was hoping to re-load my own, as I do with my other calibers, is that an option??

is the 'mum' the Chrysanthemum ?

I am highly interested in these firearms, as I am with a lot of the WWII guns, but as you said, it is more fun shooting than, Riceone's dedication to the subject. I will check out his posts as a 'fountain of knowledge' shouldn't be passed up.

thanks
Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean no one is watching
The Sniper. Out of sight, Out of Mind