T99 safety

Forum for firearms from the Orient.

Moderator: PeterN2

chucksniper

T99 safety

Post by chucksniper » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi all,
I have a problem with my safety. When I push it in, it doesn't want to turn to the right.

Any ideas?
Rightousness exalteth a nation but sin is a reproach to any people. Psalms 14:34

"It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains."~Patrick Henry~
chucksniper

ya ready ?

Post by chucksniper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:00 pm

Here we go... LOL

I swapped triggers from another rifle... why I do not know or remember...

The safety knob was hanging up on the trigger sear.

The trigger that came with the rifle.. the sear.. sat lower than the one I stole from another rifle.

I noticed the sear by getting extra nosy.... I pressed the first stage and
held it.... at the same time turned the safety knob.. and wala... it engaed
very easily, boy did I feel like an @$$

Any whooo...LOL

I also filed down the top of the bolt body to lengthen the travel of the safety knob, to make it easier to engage. After it's engaged it's solid. I was concerned that it would disengage accidentally, but it doesn't.

Heck I can disengage it while it's shouldered with my thumb!!

What do you think?
Rightousness exalteth a nation but sin is a reproach to any people. Psalms 14:34

"It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains."~Patrick Henry~
PeterN2

Re: T99 safety

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Glad you got it sorted. I have never used the safety on any of my Arisakas on the range as I only load when ready to shoot. I have tested them for function, but that is all.
Regards
Peter.
romeoburbs

Post by romeoburbs » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 am

I think it has to do with how far the firing pin sear is held back by the trigger, if you get some wear it is not held far enough back and the slot in the firing pin does not line up with the pin on the safety shaft and will not turn. When you press the trigger and take up the first stage it pushes the firing pin sear back a little and it lines up and rotates. I am waiting on another trigger for this same reason. I put a small shim on the trigger sear and the safety rotates, that is why this reasoning.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for that info. Got any photos of your Arisakas to show us?

Regards
Peter.