Using the photo upload attachment

Members please check here for useful information about site features. New members introduce yourself here as your first post if you like.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Using the photo upload attachment

Postby Niner » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Just in case adding photos by way of the attachment feature is something that doesn't seem obvious, here are a few photos that may help to explain.

Please keep in mind gigantic photos won't attach and photos other than jpgs won't attach. You can use Irfanview which is a free download or whatever software you have on your computer to resize photos to a size that is usable. Photos work best in the 800 to 1200 pixel width range.
Attachments
first.jpg
Open up a post screen first. You must type in text in every post. In the contest open a reply screen, not a new one.
upload.jpg
Hit the upload button
browse.jpg
Hit the browse button next
selectphoto.jpg
Select the photo from some place on your computer
open.jpg
Open the photo.
add file.jpg
Add the photo file
after added and ready to post.jpg
After added and ready to post to the string.
IMGP0686.jpg
An image attached as explained and uploaded at 1000 pixels.
dhtaxi

Re: Using the photo upload attachment

Postby dhtaxi » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:11 pm

I use irfanview its so simple its not worth bothering with anything else.
Photo bucket is pap.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:52 pm

To resize using Irfanview. Works about like this with other software......or should.

[By the way, the zoom numbers at the top of the photo has nothing to do with the actual pixel count.]
Attachments
open file.jpg
Open the image and notice the menu bar. Go back to the file tab to save when you at the end of the complete process.
go to image.jpg
Go to image tab and open the menu.
hit resize.jpg
hit the resize option.
see actual size.jpg
See actual size the photo image of interest.
resize to usable size.jpg
Resize to usable size by just typing in a size. Do one side and the other adjusts automatically.
IMGP0553.jpg
Photo resized from 1900 to 1000 pixels and then saved as a jpg file to desktop before uploading. Click to see.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby DuncaninFrance » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:01 am

Thanks for the Heads Up on that Robert.
I have been using Photoshop in it's various guises since about 1993 and have got my head 'inside' the basic format. From a photographers point of view any software you use needs to be comfortable to use and the worst thing you can do is to chop and change programmes as you will always be learning the basics!
I have some 1000+ images on Photobucket and have no problem with it so far.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
joseyclosey

Postby joseyclosey » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:59 am

I must admit i much prefer useing photo bucket. On most sites i visit i tend not to click on attached images, more so the thumbnail attachments.

I will take a look at Irfanview.

Joe
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:25 am

The whole point of this drill is to encourage people to use the site attachment feature. In posts other than the contest it's still perfectly fine to use the linking from photobucket or whomever if that is what anyone wants to do. But from the point of view of the site, besides being an easy feature for people to use, having them directly attached to the site keeps photos in strings when the strings go to the back pages and people who have linked them no longer use the same saved link.
PeterN2

Postby PeterN2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:27 pm

I have had a go at using the upload feature. I resized the picture using Irfanview. I resized it to 1024x768 pixels but when I went to upload it I got a message it was too big and the max size allowed is 640 pixels. I resized to 640 and posted it in the random meaningless pictures thread. Why have I got a 640 pixel limit or what have I done wrong that I can't post a 1024 pixel picture?
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:36 pm

1024 resize. I resized it to 1024 using Irphan View and then uploaded it into this post. The property link shows it somewhat smaller when clicked now that it is posted. Hmmmm. I'll look into it further. But....in the funnies section it uploads to 1024 pixels.....strange.
Attachments
1024.jpg
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:40 am

When I try to post it will not allow anything over 640 X 480, and I mean it won't allow 641 X 480. Or anything over 150k, not 151k either.
The photos you posted at the begining of the thread look nothing like my screen when I am posting text or photos, is the administrator screen different from what we see?
Microsoft Office Picture Manager is the simplest thing I have found to do basic photo adjustments and resizing, and I think it's in all the Office programs.

Vern.
Vern.

Fuck 'em if this flag 'offends' them....... :rebel:

test

Postby test » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:07 am

Now I'm logged in as "test". Let's see what happens when I try to attach a 1200 pixel photo.

Attempted to add but wouldn't add. Gave me a 150 KIB error message.
test

Postby test » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:09 am

Nothing happened before. Now resized to 600 pixels
Attachments
600.jpg
test

Postby test » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:50 am

Another attempt
Attachments
1200.jpg
test

Postby test » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:53 am

One more experiment. Attaching 1500 pixel photo. Last was 1200 but came out resized to less than 800 pixels. :loco:

No problem uploading 1500 pixel image but resizes to 764 pixels the same as the 1200 pixel upload above....but the forums now look like they will upload larger photos without the user having to resize....I think. I'm done messing with this before I screw something up. I'll consult my expert webmaster first chance I get.

Thanks Vern, for getting my attention. As "administrator" my limitations are sometimes not the same as non administrators in doing ordinary tasks and I'm unaware of problems encountered unless somebody tells me.

(By the way....the photo is of the USS Independence, LCS-2, made by Austal USA in Mobile, Alabama. Austal is an Australian ship building company.)
Attachments
1500.jpg
PeterN2

Postby PeterN2 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:51 pm

I attached another picture to the RMP thread. It accepted a 1024 pixel picture this time. It posts as a 400 pixel picture in the post but goes to 1024 pixel when you click on it. Is this how it is supposed to work?
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:16 pm

More or less. The opened photo should .....if I had it all adjusted right......post to size as uploaded. But.....being able to post without resizing is the main thing that causes problems.

I think one of the board updates, or maybe the server, had something to do with changing how we intended things to work. It's all a continuous work in progress having a website. Just have to have user feedback to know when things aren't right sometimes. Administrator powers sometimes modify regular user settings and I don't notice when things aren't the same as what "normal" users experience.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:06 pm

Now photos should upload and open as to actual pixel count. Browsers sometime modify pixel count for individual viewing and this isn't the fault of the site. If you try to upload a gigantic size image it still isn't going to happen.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:29 pm

Will try to attach this 1024X695 pic. My grandfather and namesake, Vern Dibb, is the engineer in the window. He drove this engine for almost 20 years.

Vern.
Attachments
#14 with Dibb2.jpg
Vern.

Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:31 pm

It worked great, thanks for changing that Robert.
Vern.

Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:35 pm

No problem, Vern. The thanks belongs to you for telling me I was wandering off course in the fog......which is something I'm good at.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Don't be so hard on yourself Robert, that's OUR job. :loco: :loco: :loco:

Vern.
Vern.

Guisan
Contributing Member

Postby Guisan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:16 pm

It's not that hard to post pics at any forum. Register with photobucket.com, create an album there and upload your pictures to that album, edit them if necessary (size ! ). Copy and paste the IMG code that goes with the pic you want to post into your posting text and there it is, online !
www.photobucket.com

A starter photobucket account is a free one with adds off course but it's worth a try. My premium account stores some 8K pics and I do pay around $ 40 every two years to host these which I find fair because I can post these everywhere for little money and they stay mine !
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:38 pm

A starter photobucket account is a free one with adds off course but it's worth a try. My premium account stores some 8K pics and I do pay around $ 40 every two years to host these which I find fair because I can post these everywhere for little money and they stay mine !

Photos that post here stay the owners photos. This site doesn't own them. The integrity of the site is my main concern. I also feel that what someone freely posted of their own accord should remain, unless the user goes back and modifies his post and removes the photos himself....which any poster can do. When dead photobucket accounts die...like they did in great number going back years ago, the information goes. The poster didn't do it.... photobucket.. or any other linked site does it when they close an account or end a service.

Whenever a photo is shown on any site, with possibly a very few exceptions, and in no gun message board site that I'm aware of, anybody can download it to their computer and treat it like their own. Such is the nature of the internet. Photobucket protects nothing as it is not excepted from this fact of life. Not that I'm saying it's right for people to take other people's photos off the internet for their own purposes. . And.... if you want to sue somebody over it you probably can ....if you want to go to the trouble and expense.

Here is an example that demonstrates what I just wrote about Photobucket and ownership.

I posted a couple of photobucket photos recently at another site where you can't post photos directly. I just copied the photo off the site from my post and back to my computer to link here...just now... as an attachment.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/so ... 919-2.html

Photobucket hasn't protected anybody from anybody else downloading their photos and using them any way they want. Again....not saying downloading and using anybodies photos is right . Just saying how things actually are.

A site that accepts photos into it's space is a better site than one that doesn't in the same way that a site that offers more is better than one that offers less.

If anybody likes to link photos here from photobucket, or other place like it, rather than use the attachment feature, it's fine with me. It's up to you. But if you do so because you think if you use the site feature that I'd be taking your photos and making them mine, and taking your copyright in the process, you would be very mistaken. That's something I wouldn't do, even if I could, for many deeply felt reasons.
Attachments
DSC02647_zps8acb961f.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Postby DuncaninFrance » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:40 am

I have now kicked photobucket in the arse :cool:
I still have over 1200 images there but have moved to Flicker which is far better for photographers as it keeps the colour profiles of images.
I did a comparison recently on a photographic forum I am on and Flicker images were much better quality. :D :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
Guisan
Contributing Member

Postby Guisan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:54 pm

These days it's easy to copy pics from other sites and post them somewhere else but what I mean is different and no offend to the administrator here.
In my early days on the internet I did many postings at one Swiss gun forum and I had a conflict with the administrator of that site shortly before I left to be never back again. I could not delete my account there as it was valid for other forums also but it gave me a good feeling that I was able to deny access to my pictures.

I don't mind when people use my pictures as it's a way of sharing knowledge and a hobby but sometimes it's necessary to be able to shut down that pictures tap.

Duncan, I was one of the early users of Photobucket, I contributed to the developer in person in those days (just one guy) and since then they have grown big, sometimes a bit too big for my taste but they still give me value for the money...
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Guisan, I don't know what your experience was, but sympathize. In my case, I know how it was to have the entire contents of a site I created taken wholesale and used to make another site. I'm speaking of another site totally different from this one in subject. It still hurts to think about how it all played out..... and accordingly I purposely try to never think about it. The copy site is now gone as well as the producer of it and my other site still remains until I decide to end it. All's well that ends well, they say.

As to Photobucket in the once upon at time is concerned, back about a ten or so years ago, after Milsurp After Hours had just got started as a ....pause while I spit...Ezboard site, Photobucket held many photos that were linked to the site, including header photo collages. After a while, photobucket hit some snag and all the photos were lost...even though I...like you now...had paid them to link my photos.

Now days photobucket seems to mostly make it's money off the popup advertisements rather than the people using them to link photos. They seem to be better run now days.

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”