The US M7 bayonet for the M16 rifle

Things a soldier would carry other than firearms, ammo, or uniforms. Meaning equipment such as ammo pouches, bayonets, holsters, oil cans, cleaning equipment, etc.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Niner
Site Admin

The US M7 bayonet for the M16 rifle

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:54 pm

I got one recently, although I generally have zero interest in bayonets. The M7 Colt design bayonet was made for a lot of years beginning in, I read, 1964, to attach to the M16 rifle. The BOC company, Bauer Ordinance Company, made more of them than any of a half dozen other suppliers. It was the bayonet of the Vietnam War and after. However, few infantry troops carried them around with them that I ever knew about in Vietnam. Outside of a movie ..We were soldiers... I've never seen anybody even play acting Vietnam soldiers that fixed bayonets. First place it wasn't much as a knife...pretty dull. Second it weighted something and nobody carried anything that wasn't really important. Third, although combat was at close range, nobody ran out of ammo before guys like me and Vern ran the enemy off with artillery or gunships gave them hell ...or both.

All of the above being said, I requisitioned one from the infantry company supply in Vietnam in 1970. My theory was that it would do in a pinch for cutting twigs for a poncho liner tent or other such things. It was horribly dull but better than nothing. Then one day the supply sergeant told me I had to give it back. Seems some rear echelon shirker REMF dopers had got into a fight with knives and all outstanding bayonets in the whole battalion had to be returned to supply. Not a great loss but when I had the chance to get one recently after recalling having an issued one temporarily once I paid a few dollars for what came in the mail today.

One thing good about this one I got out of the grab bag of surplus knives is that the scabbard it came with was made by TWB. The Working Blind made it back in January of 1969. That trademark was only used for a very short time. So... maybe rare junk surplus.

http://worldbayonets.com/Library/Articl ... rticle.pdf
Attachments
DSC07812.JPG
DSC07813.JPG
DSC07814.JPG
DSC07818.jpg
DSC07917.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The US M7 bayonet for the M16 rifle

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:57 pm

I bought an aftermarket one, even though it says "Colt" on the other side of the blade, it is obviously
a made in China wanna-be. The scabbard is all black like the bayonet. At the time I couldn't find a reasonably
priced real one like yours, maybe I'll look again. Where did you find it?

5.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: The US M7 bayonet for the M16 rifle

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Vern, they are all over ebay. That's the good news. The bad news is they start off "reasonable" but for some reason they end up with shipping just under $40 a lot of the time. But.... you might get lucky. Search M7 bayonet alone and you can find one delivered for $23.69...no scabbard. You might look at this site and take a look at the ending soon listings.
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/milita ... endingSoon