P-38 & P-51

Things a soldier would carry other than firearms, ammo, or uniforms. Meaning equipment such as ammo pouches, bayonets, holsters, oil cans, cleaning equipment, etc.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Niner
Site Admin

P-38 & P-51

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:40 am

Every American soldier since WWII has had one unless the MRE modern soldiers don't ever need one. But they have been around a long time.

I saw this link at a collectors site. What's interesting is the governmentease way of describing it and how to use it. It also gives the blue print if you want to make one.....not likely I'm sure. They can be bought one place and another cheap enough.

One of the government warnings was that you should "Sterilize opener before re-use". Yeah, sure. Although what was meant was run a match flame along the edge of it. Still.......nobody ever did that in so far as I can ever remember seeing. Combat soldiers had a lot of other worries on their mind besides germs. Maybe a quick wipe on a fairly clean part of a sleeve to get the lint or assorted grime off of it.

http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/p3851milspecs.htm
Attachments
post-6574-1302798577.jpg
post-6574-1302798594.jpg
joseyclosey

Re: P-38 & P-51

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Handy little tools, i still have a couple among my camping kit. I never sterilise them neither.

Joe
Sarge
Regular visitor

Post by Sarge » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:35 am

So where is the P 51???
The early P 38s were dated, but that went away in about the mid 60s.
I've carried a 57 on my key ring for 40 yrs.
Sarge
:rebel:
Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
LIFEMEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 am

Where can I get one?
I had one of the small ones from 'C ' rations for years till I lost it.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:41 am

Eoin, just do a google search. Look at that link I showed and hit the home page. They have an assortment for sale for one price or another. In the US they can be found at gun shows, flea markets and military surplus stores.

Saw this note on Wikipedia about time frame.
P-38s are no longer used for individual rations by the United States Armed Forces, as canned C-rations were replaced by uncanned MREs in the 1980s. The larger P-51s are, however, included with US military "Tray Rations" (canned bulk meals). They are also still seen in disaster recovery efforts and have been handed out alongside canned food by rescue organizations, both in America and abroad in Afghanistan.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat May 21, 2011 2:11 pm

I have 3. One in the car, one in my camera bag and one in my toilet kit :D One of the simplest and most useful bits of kit ever devised. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.