Armi San Paolo Remington 1858 New Army

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Armi San Paolo Remington 1858 New Army

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:53 pm

I knew I could count on you guys for tips and how-to's. Any suggestions for a nipple wrench that
won't bend the first time it's used, that seems to be an ongoing problem, from what I've read.
I now have the Lyman and Fadala books on the way, maybe I can learn enough from them and from here,
so I don't blow myself up...... :shock: :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Vern if you listen to me and Duncan you will probably get confused as we don't exactly gee haw and are both opinionated as hell.....but it doesn't bother either of us if anyone plots a different course on any issue from what either of us suggest. Think we both would agree on that. No matter. You are not likely to blow yourself up. It's going to be fun.

Nipple wrenches come in different sizes too...pistol and most rifles use the same wrench but there is also a musket wrench. You want one with a narrower shank at the business end to work with pistols. Can't say as I know of one particular one to recommend. One with a nipple pick would be standard fare. For cleaning nipples I like pipe cleaners, by the way.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:50 am

Never be tempted to drill out the flash holes in the nipples, not unless you want a fully auto 6 shot burst that sounds like one long blast. :bigsmile:

Been there!!

I always load by volume, but, as Duncan does, into plastic vials; or when I'm showing off, I use "German Silver" ones that I made and that have walnut bases and plugs.
The GS is an unknown scrap metal tube that I made them from many years ago at the dockyard, I do know that the tube came from one of Her Majesty's submarines.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:13 am

Robert and I will always agree to differ on weight V volume but it it an irrefutable fact that a grain is a unit of weight and not volume in spite of what Sam says!
I finally came down on the weight side of the fence after becoming seriously involved in British Black Powder loads for my Snider & Martini-Henry rifles and watching the video presentations of Rob Deans - brituishmuzzeloaders -
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK-MdB ... JZgw8dO1Ag

As for a nipple wrench, many of them are not up to the job IMO.
Here is the one I use, it's a musket one - BEEFY!
NIPPLE WRENCH.jpg
It needs to be substantial at the 'ears' and as with Robert, I used pipe cleaners to clean nipples so don't bother with the ones that have wire pricks ( :shock: ).
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 am

On nipple wrenches, they can never be too substantial and the best system is where the nipple has a square "drive".
Common nipples can be squared and a suitable wrench made.

I found an interesting, though somewhat pricey site.
https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/NIPPLES.html
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:47 am

Aughnanure wrote:On nipple wrenches, they can never be too substantial and the best system is where the nipple has a square "drive".
Common nipples can be squared and a suitable wrench made.

I found an interesting, though somewhat pricey site.
https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/NIPPLES.html
I went to school with Peter Dyson he knows what he is doing . I have bought various things from him in the past, always top quality......
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:00 am

Musket wrench and pistol-rifle wrench. And traditional pistol wrench.

Musket wrenches are for bigger nipples than what is on a 1858 New Army pistol.
wrench.jpg
traditional.jpg
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Has anyone tried the Hodgdon Pyrodex pellets, they come in 30 grain for the 44 cal pistol.
The 30 grain seems to be what is used in my style pistol, and it sounds like they would be a lot
easier to deal with than the powder. I know the purists will think that is cheating, but that's not
the experience I'm looking for, I want shooting made easy....... :shock: :mrgreen:

Another question, some .440" balls came with the pistol, but I see in several places they say
a .451" , 138 grain ball for the pistol.

Any thoughts on either...??

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 pm

The ball size depends on the maker. Most use .451. Iv'e seen advertised some that use .454. If the guy who gave you the gun used 440 maybe that's the right size. See how tight they fit. Seems a bit small to me.

On a .44 cal reproduction I like lighter target loads at 20 grain. I've used powdered Pyrodex in my pistols. Never tried the pellets.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:20 pm

I just sat the balls into the cylinder, no pressure, they fell out when I turned it over.
But I have no idea how far they should go in.

DSC01421 - Copy.JPG