1863 Sharps .54 cal

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Jethro

1863 Sharps .54 cal

Post by Jethro » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:23 pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... harps2.jpg[/pic]

This is my 1863 Sharps .54 cal rifle made my Armisport. It uses BP paper cartridges like these. These are ignited with a percussion cap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ ... ridges.jpg[/pic]

With the Creedmore rear sight and tunnel front sight, this rifle is really accurate. I have also shot this rifle using Pyrodex pellets glued to the rear of the bullet. When these are fired, the still burning pellets leave a smoke trail as they fly towards the target.

Jethro
broke collector

paper cartridge sharps

Post by broke collector » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:53 pm

Wonders never cease....I also have a .54 Sharps percussion and load paper cartridges. Mine is a Cape Outfitters kit that I have assembled and finished. I had to do some major lock work on it but the trigger is OK now May I ask what bullets you have tried and what papers you have used. I shoot 60 gr of ff black and have tried triple 7 which gives me a "hang fire" of a few micro seconds. Black is immediate. I have thought of trying the Pyrodex pellets and will give them a try. They are fun to shoot and after making a few "paper shells" are in some ways quicker to reload than sizing, de priming, etc. B.C.
POWDER RIVER Let-er buck!
stripperclip
Leading Member

Post by stripperclip » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:02 am

very good looking rifle shot a carbine version years ago and it was an accurate piece would like to try the longer barrel.
stripperclip
Jethro

Post by Jethro » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:02 am

broke collector,
May I ask what bullets you have tried and what papers you have used.
A friend who shoots a lot of Sharps rifles gave me an old Rapine mould that drops a 460-470 grain bullet, the ones that I pictured in my post. The paper that I use for making the cartridges are end papers that women use for hair permanents. You can buy treated paper especially for BP cartridges that is treated or you can treat them yourself with a saltpeter solution. The treated paper is expensive and I am not a chemist who wants to mess with the proper nitrate soltion for treating my own paper. However, the end papers, which are cheap and easily obtained at any beauty supply store, work fine and are totally consumed in the firing of the rifle.

Jethro

:)
broke collector

sharps bullets, paper, etc.

Post by broke collector » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:16 am

I tried cigarette papers at first and I cannot describe the looks I got from supermarket ladies. What could they be thinking.....making cartridges....yeah sure.

Then I tried to purchase potassuim nitrate from my friendly pharmacy. They could not even order it, or so they say! Being formerly blonde (now mostly gray) with blue eyes I don't think that they had me pegged as a terrorist. I will try the end papers even though that may get me some funny looks as well. Aint it fun.....do you know the diameter of your bullet? If so please advise. THANKS B.C.
Jethro

Post by Jethro » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:31 am

B.C.

I can almost guarantee that you will get some funny looks going into a beauty supply place to buy the end papers. When I bought mine, the place was loaded with women and I think that they all assumed that I was gay. What the hell, most of them were over the hill and overweight. :lol:

I will check on the diameter of my bullets and get back to you.

Jethro
Jethro

Post by Jethro » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:33 am

B.C.,

The bullets are dropping in the neighborhood of 0.555.

Jethro
broke collector

.54 cal sharps

Post by broke collector » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:32 am

I also wanted to know if your rifle has a rubber O ring in the gas plate. Mine does and it does'nt have the sliding chamber that bears on the gas plate. Mine leaks somewhat but not too bad. Eye protection is definately needed!....When I figure out the photo deal I will post some photos. I also have a Cape Outfitters 45-70 Sharps style carbine that shoots well. It has a fairly tight chamber and requires dilligence as to overall length and crimp. B.C
SgtJethro
Contributing Member

Post by SgtJethro » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:15 am

B.C.,

I do not have the O-ring on mine. It has one of those sliding sleeves that backs up against the gas plate.

I would strongly recommend wearing eye protection when shooting these rifles. Even though the sliding sleeve does a good job, once these babies getting a good case of powder fouling, you can get a bit of gas blast to the face.

Jethro