Your opinion is sought................

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Your opinion is sought................

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:45 pm

...................for a long term project.

I have decided to apply for the purchase of a handgun here in France.
There are a couple of things that I need to clarify concerning the paperwork required but I don't see anything that would stop me having a permit. Timescale for the permit is probably going to be about 6 months.

The weapon will be used for target shooting as any form of carry is strictly prohibited in France. So, the question is which of these 3 possibles below would you choose and why.....

Colt 1911 in 45 ACP.
CZ 75 in 9×19mm Parabellum, 9×21mm, or .40 S&W
Browning Hi-Power in 9×19mm Parabellum, 7.65×21mm Parabellum or .40 S&W

I think it most unlikely that I will be able to afford a new one so it will be second hand.

So , your advice please gentlemen :cool: :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Re: Your opinion is sought................

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:15 pm

As far as I know the 9x19 Parabellum is the same as 9mm Luger and that is going to be the cheapest
by far for ammo and probably pistol price. My son has a 40 S&W and thinks it's the greatest thing since
sliced bread, I thought it was just another pistol. I have a Spanish Llama MAX-1 C/F in .45 with a 3.7" barrel,
it's a wanna-be 1911 that's fun to shoot but certainly not a serious target pistol.
A real Colt 1911 is probably the most expensive for the pistol and the ammo, I don't know anything about the
CZ or Browning Hi-Power.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:59 pm

I'd be partial to the 1911 in 45acp. For some reason my 45acp pistols shoot better than the 9mm ones. A Ballister Molina or Systema in 45 acp will shoot better than a Star B or P38 in 9mm, for me at least, any day. And.. if , as I think you told me, the 1911 is an actual Colt, it should be worth more than any of the other choices in any decent condition.

Although you didn't mention it, you might consider a 9mm Makarov. It's an ugly knock off of the Walther PP of James Bond fame. That's the Russian 9x18 round and not the same as the 9mm luger. I have two Maks and I can shoot them better than any of my other handguns as far as hitting a target. They would be a lot cheaper than the 1911....unless you get an East German made one which commands .. or did command... a doubling of the price. The ammo is reasonable still... I think, although I haven't needed any in several years... however if you go with the 1911 or the 9mm Luger, the reloading dies would probably be easier to come up with.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:36 am

I'd go for the Hi-Power cos it just looks so right and I was familiar with it for some time. Another classic 9 millie pistol I admire is the the S&W model 59. I had both pre UK handgun robbery.
Joe
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:30 pm

CZ 9x19 for me.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:38 am

Hi-Power is about €900 and a CZ second hand about €450 - €600. 1911's run from €1000 upwards.
I shot Hi-Powers in the TA and liked them but that CZ 75 B looks like a nice, comfortable handgun.
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Browning HP for me. I had one for a period of time but ended up trading it in at York Guns for a 3 inch Webley .32 pocket revolver (like new complete with box) and a 6 inch Webley .38 S&W target revolver. The Browning fit my hand better than other pistols I tried. The Beretta 92 was too fat in the butt for my stubby short fingers. The CZ would be the next choice.
Regards
Peter.
OverHill

Post by OverHill » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 pm

A case can be made for all of your options, however, my recommendation is the CZ-75 in 9x19. Czech firearm quality, function, and price are hard to beat....

Oops, just noticed the date on your original post; anyway which way did you go?
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:10 am

I actually bought a Webley RIC revolver because it is an obsolete calibre and therefore needs no paperwork. Calibre .467". It is marked EP for Egyptian Protectorate - not as some think, Egyptian Police.

If I were to go for a pistol I would certainly buy a CZ. Thanks.
Duncan

OverHill

Post by OverHill » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for the response; impressive revolver with a lot of history. Some even believe Gen. Custer carried a .442 Webley Royal Irish "Bulldog" or perhaps a pair when the 7th was wiped out; he was known to own at least one Webley Royal Irish Constabulary revolver, but no shell cases were found on the battlefield, so who knows?