Ross Mark III

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
PeterN2

Ross Mark III

Post by PeterN2 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Hello
I have just bought a Ross rifle. It has had a life as there are wood repairs to the heel and toe of the butt and also behind the action. The front sight is missing the hood but has a few screws added. The bolt has a different number to the barrel but still has a PLY prefix. It does shoot very well though. I fired 12 rounds at 200 yards and after using 3 rounds to adjust windage and elevation, it shot the next 9 rounds into a 6 inch or so group, which is good for my eyes. I have posted some photos on Gunboards as I understand photos are not working on here yet.
Regards
Peter.
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... ost9686921
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Ross Mark III

Post by Niner » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:58 am

Looks good, Peter. Wish the site was back in shape so you could use our photo upload. Not that it matters much with the site as injured as it is. Thanks for posting.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:27 pm

Looks good to me Peter, I'm thinking on getting a scoped .303 sporter to help my ageing eyes. I've been doing rubbish in this years HARC MRL again. :lol:
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Peter,

They're a great military target rifle, many years ago when I first became an armourer I shot the annual range practice with a Ross that I then owned.
I retained my Marksman rating and claim to be the only Australian serviceman to have done so with a Ross (at least post WWII),

Being one of the Armourers for the shoot I got away with using it, another year I used a Broomhandle Mauser, with stock, but it cost me some ammo as a lot of people, that I couldn't afford to get offside with wanted a shot, not that I really minded (well, not much :) ).
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
riptidenj
Contributing Member

Post by riptidenj » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:19 pm

A good find. I have a Mark III B, have yet to fire it.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:46 am

As the photo post is up and running again, I thought I would add the Ross photos here.
Regards
Peter.
Full left.jpg
Action left.jpg
Action right.jpg
Action top.jpg
Markings left.jpg
Markings top.jpg
Front sight right.jpg
Butt markings 2.jpg
Butt stock repair.jpg