Lost key

This is the place for thoughts that you want to share about nearly anything that comes to mind. Politics is ok as well. All notions and opinions are the view of the poster and not this site. Just remain civil in whatever you wish to express.

Moderator: Niner

PeterN2

Lost key

Postby PeterN2 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:36 pm

I keep my cabinet keys in a small safe. Last Thursday I needed to get into an ammo cabinet so took the key from the key cabinet and unlocked it and locked it when I was done. On Saturday I needed to get in the ammo cabinet again so went to the key safe for the key. However, the key was not in the key safe. The two cabinets are about four feet apart. I have no idea where the key is. How can I lose a key moving it four feet? It only goes from one place to the other and back again. I must have locked the ammo safe and put the key down somewhere. I have looked all around the room, under stuff, over stuff, all around the floor, in the trousers I was wearing and around where I took off my trousers. Nothing. I also do not have a spare key and did not note the key number. If nothing turns up next week it looks like I will have get a safe breaker in to pick the lock which will probably cost more then the cabinet. I just wish I knew where it is.
Regards
Peter.
Aughnanure

Re: Lost key

Postby Aughnanure » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Peter,

Have a look on top of the ammo safe, particularly towards the back; is there a gap at the back?

Failing all else, and as you say the cost of getting a locksmith in, might I suggest the angle grinder and a cutting disc?

Do you have leprechauns?
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby DuncaninFrance » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:46 am

Put a big key fob on it like a big washer or a piece of chain............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
PeterN2

Postby PeterN2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:28 pm

The next key will have a big colourful ribbon tied to it.
Regards
Peter.
PeterN2

Postby PeterN2 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 pm

After two months, the impossible happened. I FOUND THE KEY. I have looked all over for the key with no success. Tonight I was putting a small bag of screws next to some others on the window cill of the room where the cabinet is. There was some loose sandpaper sheets and a couple of packs of sandpaper there so I thought I would have a look to see what grades I have. I put them on the bench and started looking through them. I looked at the loose sheets and then picked up the part used pack. There on top of the second pack was my key. How it got there I have no idea. I must have put it down and put the other pack on top when tidying up. I felt very elated when I saw it. I had given up on the key turning up and was on the verge of getting a friend to bring his angle grinder to cut the cabinet open. The key is now in the key cabinet with a bright green length of ribbon tied to it. I am a happy chappie tonight.
Regards
Peter.
Aughnanure

Postby Aughnanure » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Peter,

That's a great outcome, I believe that it is also possible to buy phone operated beepers to attach to things that might get misplaced.

There are leprechauns, I have one that causes me to misplace things (that's my excuse anyway!).

Eoin.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:21 pm

That's great that it was found before you had to get a safe cracker to open your safe up. I put stuff down all the time and five minutes later have to do a treasure hunt to find what should be in plain sight.
DuncaninFrance

Postby DuncaninFrance » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:01 am

Lucky you Peter...........
The easiest way to keep track of keys is to leave them in the lock - but Mr Plod might object!!!!!!!!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:28 pm

Maybe have another key made so you have 2. Then keep the spare with a different group of valuables.
Having only one key to anything makes me nervous....... :shock:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
PeterN2

Postby PeterN2 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:44 pm

One key makes me nervous also. I have made a note of the key number and can also now remember it. If I lose it again I can go to the safe maker, Chubb, and order a new key. Hopefully I won’t lose it again as I am being extra careful to put it in the right place.
Regards
Peter.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”