MY FIRST CADET

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: MY FIRST CADET

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:22 am

Just got around to slugging the barrel and it comes out at .316" / 8.03 mm. I have some Cerrosafe in the post so should be able to do a chamber cast soon. :)
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:35 am

Still no sign of the 32-20 cases I ordered in June so I cancelled the order. Going to buy 100 Bertram cases from CBE in Australia along with a set of Simplex Dies. Cases work out at £0.46 each instead of £1.30 :D :D

The Cerrosafe also arrived but as |I am currently re-building half of my workshop to take a 4mtr long bench all other projects are on hold :( :(
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:20 am

Progress was made today!

I finally got round to reloading for my Cadet. A grey day with persistent rain and a SE wind gusting to 35mph. I lit the stove in the workshop and after lunch adjourned to fill some brass......50 cases to be exact.

First problem; the Simplex shell holder does not fit the LEE Auto-Prime tool. Cases primed using a support in a vice, a wooden dowel and a hammer. All cases primed and still all my fingers and thumbs!

I loaded 2 rounds to start with and check fired them in the garden. No problem but the spent cases would not extract and had to be removed with a cleaning rod. I suspect that the extractor is damaged because it ejects empty cases with ease.

The bullets were lubed with beeswax + cooking fat. I think that they would be better treated with Alox. I have loaded half with the beeswax and will load the other half with Alox then test them at the range. I had originally thought there might be a problem with the chamber and extractor so I think it may be prudent to pull the barrel so I can see exactly what the problem(s) are.............
Duncan

joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:33 pm

What was the powder charge and do the spent cases re-chamber ok Duncan?
I would go with the alox incidentally.
Joe
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Joe,
The case seems to fit easily and flush in the chamber - it is a .310 and the difference in dia between the unfired and the fired cases is + 0.39mm in the centre of the case. The base and the mouth are the same fired and unfired.

There is a star on the Nocks form that indicates some rust in the chamber but how long ago ............ :roll:

I think that the chamber may have a rust problem and so I am going to try a chamber cast with sulphur & graphite. Powder is VihitaVuori N340, 5,2 grains which is about right for a Cadet
Duncan

joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:34 am

Be careful with the cerrosafe chamber cast, Dave had a problem with the cast stuck in the chamber of his 8mm. Follow the instructions carefully and tap the cast out asap.
I'm surprised the fired case doesn't re chamber, it should be a perfect fit and not even need re-sizing.
Joe
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:41 pm

You can normally just push the case in with out resizing. A lot of cadet owners don't bother to resize the case they just re seat a primer add the powder then push the bullet in by hand.
It could be wear in the barrel causing the base of the case to bulge. Be careful with the cerosafe I wont use it any more it nearly cost me a rifle. I prefer to do a impact cast. I followed Adams instructions on how to do it.
I wound him up something chronic when I went through the process on another forum. He is getting very touchy in his old age. :razz:
You could try hack sawing across the base/rim of a case so you can get a screwdriver blade into it cover the case in valve grinding paste and revolve it in the chamber. In theory lap the chamber in.

I use Vit N310 in mine 3.6grains N310 is similar to bullseye.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:11 am

Thanks. I am not using Cerrosafe but Sulphur and Graphite mixed. Apparently it doesn't shrink after it cools. First pull the barrel. Internet has been down for 36 hours so am just catching up................
Duncan

joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:54 pm

Keep us posted Duncan.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:37 am

Duncan,

For some reason I haven't been seeing the posts on this.
By the looks of it you need to get hold of a good (emphasis good) machinist (fitter and turner)and get him/her to reline the chamber and bore a new chamber, as the .310 is a straight case (more or less) then boring a smooth chamber and not needing a reamer is quite possible.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.