Looking at a .410 BSA

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

timberlord

Looking at a .410 BSA

Post by timberlord » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:28 pm

I've been checking out a .410 No.1 BSA and the add says ...

"BSA commercial stacked rifles on top of barrel " and

"regulated by Fulton "

I'm not sure what these statements mean . Can somebody enlighten me here ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/ ... 410BSA.jpg" style="border:0;"/><!--EZCODE IMAGE END-->

<p>
KCLRPC
Contributing Member

bsa 410

Post by KCLRPC » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:04 pm

the bsa stacked rifles was their civilian trademark, and is three rifles formed into a triangular shape, like in the photos adam posted on here recently. the regulated by fultons is, I believe, the statement that they did the conversion from .303 to .410, as my club has a military mauser action which was converted to 7.62 and bears the same marks. hope thats of some use

<p>
timberlord

Re: bsa 410

Post by timberlord » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:13 pm

Sure does ..Thanks !

<p>
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Looking at a .410 BSA

Post by dromia » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:40 am

Hi,

"Regulated by Fultons" means that the rifle was set up and bedded for target shooting with the No 1 being in .303".

The .410" was a later conversion and unlikley to have been done by Fultons, even if it was done by them the "regulated by Fultons" does not refer to the Shotgun conversion.

Ishapore did SMLE .410" police guns but this does not sound like one as they would have had the original marking ground of and have had an Ishapore screw added.

This sounds like a later civilian conversion, many were done after the pistol ban when people gave up their FACs and had treasured rifles smooth bored so as to be kept on Shotgun certificate, backwards logic I know.

Haqve you had the fore ned off is there any bedding still their and is it a heavy barrel? :D;

<p>http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... _Badge.gif" style="border:0;"/><!--EZCODE IMAGE END-->

Adam.

Why don't you visit .

ImageImage
Flaith

Post by Flaith » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:41 am

I concur with Adam. Check if it accepts a normal .410 shell. The round for the Indian conversions is based on the .303 and is smaller than normal.

Eoin.

<p>
timberlord

Post by timberlord » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:52 pm

Thanks again for the replies fellas !

I understand that the .410 Enfields used fireformed .303 brass and , from what I hear .444 brass works as well .

I don't reload , so the thought of being able to buy hunting ammo adds to the appeal and thats what I'm hopeing for.

The Fulton stamp is on the end of the barrel. 1918 BSA The stock has been heavly varnished but no cracks and very few dings , thats about all I know .

I havn't purchased this .410 yet...gotta figure out how to get it past the wife , again ...she's starting to catch on...lol

<p>