B-17 crash

This forum is to discuss aircraft and vessels, military or otherwise.

Moderators: Niner Delta, joseyclosey

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

B-17 crash

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:24 pm

As you may have read, the Collings Foundation B-17 "Nine-O-Nine" crashed at a
Connecticut airport last Wednesday, killing 7 of the 13 aboard. It's a good thing I took my
flight on it a few years ago as now they are questioning whether these old military planes
should be carrying passengers. Aside from the terrible loss of life, these planes can't be replaced.
The Collings Foundation has suspended all passenger flights of their vintage planes.
Truly a sad day for aviation.

https://www.apnews.com/bd8a291db10e4885af369fbc6590b8f8

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: B-17 crash

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:57 am

Sorry to say that all aircraft have a finite flying time which is controlled by many differing constraints.
Metal fatigue, engine running hours and pilot training to mention but three.
Taking to the sky's in any aircraft has its risks no matter how new or advanced the design is - the Boeing 737 Max being a classic case.

Ultimately the decision to take a flight is down to the passenger and as long as they have weighed up the possible outcome then so be it.

I won a flight in a helicopter at the 2018 Blaye wine fair but the helicopter that was going to be used crashed two days before the fair killing both people on board. This year I also won a flight in a helicopter at the wine fair and enjoyed every minute of it but there was always that little niggle at the back of my mind.....................
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: B-17 crash

Post by Niner » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Vern, I remembered this old string and mentioned it on the facebook Milsurp page.

http://www.milsurpafterhours.com/bb/vie ... yNqYDVFMeQ