I put a deposit on my first gun show table.

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Re: I put a deposit on my first gun show table.

Post by Niner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:47 pm

I'm gathering some stuff for the event. It's weekend after the one coming.
Plastic cable ties and a tool to tighten them is required. All actions have to be fastened in a way that the firearm can't be operated without removing the tie.
Small padlocks for locking steel cable run through the trigger guards to slow down any thief when not watching the table. All padlocks use the same key.

I've also locked my on open to view rifles at home up somewhat the same way so I'll include a photo. Same kind of idea as this I plan to use overnight one day to the next. It won't prevent a determined thief but it will slow him the hell down and make it less likely that anything will just walk away.

I've been researching what I'll bring and what they seem to have been selling for, although that's a difficult project because the general market anywhere is going to be different from the small one shot gun show. However, I am getting an idea of where to start the argument off at when setting a price.

There are some other things....like a table cover for the merchandise to rest on and another to cover them between show days. I got a order book with duplicate copy to keep information about each sale....if there are any.
Attachments
padlocks.jpg
tool.jpg
cableties.jpg
cable.jpg
example.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Do you really need to pull the cable ties that tight? Pull them hand tight and use a small
pair of sidecutters/dikes/diagonal cutters to remove them. Take a pair with you as your red
tool doesn't appear to have a cutter built in. Remember that the tighter you pull them, the
harder they are to cut. And forget using a knife..... :shock: ...Just a thought..... :mrgreen:

If it wasn't a couple thousand miles to drive, I would stop by to check out you wares..... :D

Are you required to keep a list of sales, or is just to cover your own ass, which is a wise move... :cool:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 pm

The tool cuts the end off of the tag. I can see the problem will be cutting the tightened plastic band after it is in place. I'll... keep that in mind and only tighten enough to get by the show requirements and maybe bring some toenail clippers or something to break the ties if I need to. Maybe put it through the breech rather than over the handle in case someone wants to look down the barrel to see if he can see any rust. Hadn't really thought about that.

I have to keep track of who I sell one of these C&R guns to as long as I have a C&R collector federal firearms license. I keep a book with a page on each weapon. I list the model, date, who I bought it from, caliber, serial number....and what I paid for it, although the buyer doesn't get to see it and the FED's don't care what I paid for any of them. When I sell one I have to record date, who sold to... including address, DOB, and a drivers license ID number.

I'll have to recruit my wife and son and maybe my brother to get stuff in and out and maybe spell me at the table over two days.

It's an adventure.

I know I'll bring some of the stuff I never shoot that is pretty cheap Charlie stuff ...or was back 15 or 20 years ago. I'm thinking of the ones I might get some more money for with some additional throw ins. Like... a Manlicher long rifle, there aren't many of them because they were mostly turned into carbines, and maybe throwing in some Nazi marked ammo and maybe the original bayonet with the sharp edge on top. Thinking about what I'd ask. That would be a fairly rare bundle.

Another thought is an Enfield MK111 with grenade wrap wire and the grenade cup. Together is worth more than either by themselves.
Attachments
closed.jpg
open.jpg
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:09 pm

These work the best, I bet you have a small pair in the garage or tackle box....... :mrgreen:

4819.jpg
4819.jpg (26.41 KiB) Viewed 7178 times

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:30 am

Yep... got some of those. :bigsmile:
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:35 am

Known in the UK as 'Side Cutters' :cool: :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:32 pm

As I said in a previous post, have mostly called them side cutters, but also dikes or diagonal cutters.
Some just call them wire cutters, I guess because that's what they are......... :lol:

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Getting a little more ready for the coming show. Picked out most of what I'm going to take and ran a cleaning patch through the bores. Dusted them off and locked down the bolts with the plastic ties....as per show requirement. Still have to put on some new hang tags with prices and a few more get ready things.

Made a short video of the bolt lock down.

https://vimeo.com/282730024
Attachments
DSC08296.jpg
DSC08297.jpg
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:38 pm

Looks like you are pretty ready.

Nice rifle AND bayonets? That's a great combo!

I hope that you are excited because I sure am. :!: :!: :!:

-ArchFluffy
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Is there some way to do that with the bolt open, what happens when they want to look down the bore?
You will be cutting a lot of them off and replacing them again.....maybe??
Good luck this weekend, expecting a full report later........ :mrgreen: