Gun Laws In Italy

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Gabriel Cale

Gun Laws In Italy

Post by Gabriel Cale » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Hello everybody, Alpha asked me on my welcome post how's the gun law in Italy, here's a little summary.
Here in Italy you can own guns with a special licence. To do that you have to do medical examinations (that tests that you aren't crazy :D ) and to do not have big legal precedents.
After that you have to go and register on a shooting range that gives you a brief lesson about firearms and security, they let you fire 50 .22 rounds with a revolver and 50 .22 rounds with a bolt action rifle.
After that your request goes somewere and after half a year or more you'll have your licence! :bigsmile:

The "funny thing" is that you can own an illimited number of military and hunting guns (i have a '39 Mosin Nagant, a '43 Mauser Kar 98k, aM16A1 replica firing little pistol rounds and two hunting guns .12 cal of my grandparents), but you can only own at maximum THREE pistols and SIX sporting guns (with adjustable backsights). So you can fill your house with M16, Mosins etc, but you can only have three pistols (and sincerely I don't know the motivation for this thing). :)
The guns that we have are not re-chambered, they shoot the same rounds as in the past, but only with a little less power.
In the case of the pistols it's impossible to own "para bellum" rounds, because only army and police are allowed to use them.
Automatic fire guns are demilled to shoot only in semi auto mode and it's impossible to own machine guns, granades and missile launchers (of course!).

A very BAD thing is that you "can't" (but people sometimes do it) shoot anywhere except for the shooting ranges, because they can give you a certificate that proove that you have fired a certain number of rounds.

The law isn't very clear about that point because you don't have to proove nothing if you're asked by a officer, but sometimes you can have big troubles if you don't do that because no one knows how to "translate" the laws.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Gun Laws In Italy

Post by Niner » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks Gabriel. That's interesting to know. I was just wondering if "A very BAD thing is that you "can't" (but people sometimes do it) shoot anywhere except for the shooting ranges, because they can give you a certificate that proove that you have fired a certain number of rounds" , what about hunting? If you have some property in the country can't you shoot rabbits or game birds on it?
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:11 am

Welcome Gabriel,

A very interesting post thank you for it.

What's the rules regarding muzzle loaders, both long arms and pistols?

Eoin.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:02 am

Strange how things differ within the EU! I am not at all surprised that they have difficulty interpreting the law :)

We watch 2 TV programmes on the BBC. Inspector Montalbano and Inspector De Luca, both great shows ( and the main reason we went to Sicily last year :D ) and that shows how difficult it must be to understand the law!!

As to Black Powder / Muzzle loaders - With so many being made in Italy I would hope that restrictions on their use is more relaxed :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Gabriel Cale

Post by Gabriel Cale » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:44 am

Niner wrote:Thanks Gabriel. That's interesting to know. I was just wondering if "A very BAD thing is that you "can't" (but people sometimes do it) shoot anywhere except for the shooting ranges, because they can give you a certificate that proove that you have fired a certain number of rounds" , what about hunting? If you have some property in the country can't you shoot rabbits or game birds on it?
Hunting is a different thing, you have to take the Hunting license, what I have is only a Sport license.
Also, if you go hunting you have to pay for every single animal that you kill, there's nothing for free here!
I live in the country and sometimes I go hunting pigeons cause they eat the cow's food of my neighbours, it's not a problem to do that.
But if you hunt rabbits, deers and other animals without a license you're gonna have big troubles (and pay a lot).

It's possible to own old muzzle loader weapons without a license, tho!