California closes in on gun owners who buy ammo

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

California closes in on gun owners who buy ammo

Post by Niner » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:05 pm

https://apnews.com/b6e060eada1d40a984cf7e0ef7c2c515

California has a new law that requires every ammo purchase to have a background check. It costs a buck if you are in the system each time you make a purchase in California but will cost much more and require a wait if you aren't in the system. Among the things they are looking for is if you might be buying ammo for a gun you have that isn't registered with the State. Bulk buys are suspect as well.

I wonder if this law will stand any court action or not.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: California closes in on gun owners who buy ammo

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 am

Sort of happens here. Buying on line you have to prove you own the weapon you are buying for so you could be asked for a copy of your registration document. No background check though and no additional charge.........
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:06 pm

The anti-gunners just keep chip, chip, chipping away................. :evil:
And Washington is almost as bad as California......... almost.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:13 pm

Can't you visit a neighbour state and buy what you want without the hassle?
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Joe, that would work in the deep south but some of the Northern and Western states are pretty tough depending on what their legislatures think up. I got a friend in Illinois who has a firearms owners identification card that you have to have before buying ammo as well as buying a firearm with a 72 hour waiting period. My friend wants to buy a pistol.....but his wife won't let him buy it. Some household laws are worse than the legally recorded ones.

On the Democratic debates the other night all the candidates were for tougher gun laws. One of them that wanted to ban assault style weapons completely was asked what he was going to do about the millions of such guns already owned. He kinda mumbled and stammered when the questioner asked him if he were going to go house to house collecting them...or a question to that point.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:56 pm

Interesting Robert, I just read the Iowa farmer post too. I thought laws were a lot more amenable in the states, I guess not. My last visit to the USA, mid 90s in minnesota, I visited a gun show in St Paul and it seemed you could buy pretty much what you wanted to without too many restrictions. Folks walking round with assault rifles on their backs I found very unusual.
Times and laws change I suppose.
Joe
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Joe,

Many of the states have tightened up the gun laws in the last 20 years, some way more than
others. 50 states = 50 different sets of laws.
Some states it's almost impossible to get a concealed weapon permit, Arizona did away with them and
anyone can carry a loaded concealed weapon, even in your car. (if you are legal to)
So the laws are all over the place and taking a gun to another state requires you to check the laws.
I know what you mean about the old gun shows, I did buy an assault rifle (SKS) off of a guy's back....... :lol:
And it's going to get worse before it gets better.......... it will probably never get better...... :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:32 pm

Democratic Presidential candidates are all talking tough on gun control. They are also talking giving away more than a chicken in every pot... a free college education and free health insurance for everybody and adopting all illegal immigrants who are running away from more lawless countries than ours. Banning all firearms that look like a "battlefield weapon" is easy enough to promise as long as they don't have to actually go round up the ones that are circulation.

Speaking of dumb politically correct gun stuff, in Alabama a sales promotion in the farm and bible belt even hit a stump in the road that nobody saw coming. In Chatom Alabama....a town an hour North of Mobile with one ...maybe two traffic lights, a Ford dealer had a sale promotion that appealed to his customer base. What does a farm community stand for? The dealer offered with each sale ...an American Flag... A King James Bible....and a Remington shotgun. What could be more small town rural America than that? But no..... Ford got wind of it and guess what the no no was.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/06/ford-to ... deals.html