wine that is likely not all that good

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

wine that is likely not all that good

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:11 pm

Since it is time for the Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow with a number of guests I thought I'd buy some wine to go with the fired turkey. And...unlike Duncan... what I know about wine I could write on a post it note with a 8 inch paint brush in black paint and have room to spare. So... this is what I came home with out of the gazillion choices. One I think is red and the other is white...the two flavors of wine in my vocabulary.

One is supposedly imported from France. The other is imported from California.

Generally half a bottle or more will remain in each bottle to pour out afterwards. We are more of a beer and whiskey group...those of us who drink at all.
Attachments
BN.jpg
Beaujolais.jpg
Mis en bouteille.jpg
sauvignon Blanc.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: wine that is likely not all that good

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Well my Post It says that Beaujolais Nouveau is generally vastly over rated as a red wine ( Try chilling it, it's not conventional but it will improve it!).
It's main claim to fame is that the English used to race back to London with it as a trophy to be drunk at a dinner as soon as possible after it was 'released' Drink in the year of production.

The white I don't know but their website says

TASTES & DELIGHTS
Our driest white wine, Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc is bursting with summer fruit flavors like honeydew melon, nectarine and peach. Pear and lime notes meld into a soft, delicious finish.

PERFECT PARTNERS
Pack a picnic basket with some fresh veggies and mild cheese, find a sunny spot and uncork! What do you enjoy Sauvignon Blanc with?

Again, drink it within 12 months of bottling for best enjoyment but "Double Gold" is just pure bullshit!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Wine only needs to be cold and sweet. Obviously I'm not a "real" wine person....... :mrgreen:
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Vern... remember Red Dagger? The winos favorite along with any event that served cheap wine?

I remember in college a friend of mine who was not old enough yet to visit the state store, and I was just barely old enough, wanted me to buy a bottle of wine for him. He was an art major and a very good one. Don't know if being an art student had anything to do with wine drinking...but I digress.

He and I went in my car to the ABC store...state run booze outlet in Alabama. I asked him what he wanted. He said get a bottle of Rhythm wine. Cost about $1.35 at that time in the late 60's for 4/5s of a quart. Then he had me drive by a drive in restaurant. He got out and came back with too large cups with ice. He started to pour as we drove off. I said, wait a minute, I got a class in a little bit I don't want any. But he had the bottle divided about the time I took to say that. We went by the fraternity house and ..me not being afraid to try new things that were booze .. partook. Later I went to class ...one with only about six people in it and in the professors office and did my best not to laugh thinking how buzzed up I was and kept wanting to smile idiotically and suppress it at the same time. . Later I went home and took a nap and woke up with the worst headache I ever had before or since. That pretty much ended my wine interest for all time.

Thanks , Duncan for confirming my suspicions on my choice of beverages.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:43 am

Keith Floyd, a renowned British cook and wine (any booze actually) buff said:-

"If it's not good enough to drink it's NOT good enough to cook with!"

and

"There is no such thing as bad wine, some is just MUCH BETTER than others!"

:razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:28 pm

I remember getting really drunk on Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, Annie Green Springs, and a few
other cheap wines, in my short run at college. Don't remember Red Dagger, but winos also liked
Mad Dog 20/20, (MD 20/20 made by Mogen David), and Thunderbird.

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 pm

Rhythm was a memorable wine. First and only of that brand I ever had ...and nearly a half century ago... it burned its memory into my brain cells.... literally.

The French wine.... half a glass.. tasted like not very sweet grapes with alcohol in it. The California wine went over a little better. One guest took home what was left of the California white wine. Nobody wanted the French.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:35 pm

The Barefoot brand is very popular here in the NW, have enjoyed a few glasses myself.