Dixie beer

Food and Drink that we enjoy from all the places in the world where we pursue our milsurp collecting hobby. Share a favorite recipe that others may try. Tell us about your favorite wine, beer or other spirit. Cigars too.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Dixie beer

Post by Niner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:07 pm

This is a beer that used to be brewed in New Orleans. Back a few decades ago it was a pretty good beer to drink when visiting New Orleans. Then it went through some changes in ownership and it turned into something that wasn't like it used to be and not in a good way. Well, lately it has been revived. The bottle says it is using the same recipe it used in 1907 when the brewery was formed. Well... I had to try it again.

It's made in Memphis...not N.O. but... it's a light taste beer much like I used to remember. Close to something like a Mexican beer. Low 4.5 potency. But good with charcoal grilled sausage on a bun with cooked onions and bell peppers and some spicy mustard.

Took a ride on a riverboat years ago. They served Dixie as draft beer.
Attachments
DCP_2143.jpg
Dixie.jpg
label.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Dixie beer

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:07 pm

I remember drinking Lone Star beer in Texas and Primo beer in Hawaii, seems like most
regions have a local beer. Up here in the northwest, it was Olympia and Rainier beers.
Olympia is now made in California and owned by Pabst. It was always a light beer, in high school we
called Olympia.. "Sex on the sand"... because they were both "fuc..ng near water"..... :mrgreen:
Rainier suffered the same fate and is owned by Pabst in CA.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:38 pm

And it is going to happen. The great cleansing of America names and replacement with the new "our values" system substitutes has reached Dixie beer. They are going to change their name to something else now that it is back in New Orleans and getting back popular again. Somehow, I think this is a bad idea. You never rename a popular product... can you imagine the sales of Coca Cola if they renamed it something else? It nearly bankrupted them when they came out with New Coke.

https://apnews.com/81f895d2f262e1ee9b134bfdf131164e
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 pm

Looks like this is going to take a few months. Considering the brand is owned by the same woman who owns the New Orleans Saints and the Pelicans basketball team maybe they can call it something related like Who Dat beer or Big Mouth Suds.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/loca ... 8e636ed24a
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:00 pm

Tell them to just name it NOLA Beer and get it over with....... :roll:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:55 pm

I like that. I'd vote for that. Only I don't have a vote.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:54 pm

Ok...so they have a new name. I think it a bit pretentious. And , like the new coke, they are going to mess with the brewing formula. I remember when the Saints were called the Aints. Tell me it isn't so.

https://www.nola.com/news/article_47d15 ... RfwdS-QKKk
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:31 pm

Faubourg. Tastes like Dixie. They call it the "Neighborhood Beer of New Orleans". Guess none of those neighborhoods are in Dixie.
Attachments
DSC04178.jpg
DSC04178.jpg (170.93 KiB) Viewed 1572 times