Berthier carbine

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

PeterN2

Berthier carbine

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:29 pm

I got myself a Model 1892 Berthier Carbine a few weeks ago. I got some pictures taken of it today. It is in very good condition for a 114 year old rifle. It has matching bolt, barrel and stock. It was refurbed after WW1 and got a new stock and upgraded for the new ammo and has the N mark to show the upgrade. The bore is not too bad. It put the rounds on the target at 200 yards but needs more load development to get it to shoot a tighter group. I also need new glasses so I can see the sights properly. I was struggling for focus which does not help accurate shooting. A few pics.
Berthier Carbine Full right.jpg
Berthier Carbine Full left.jpg
Berthier Carbine Action right.jpg
Berthier Carbine Make and model marks.jpg
Berthier Carbine Left markings.jpg
Berthier Carbine Action left and sight.jpg
Berthier Carbine Action top.jpg
Berthier Carbine Maker mark and date.jpg
Berthier Carbine Butt number.jpg
It has a date mark on the stock behind the trigger guard. Date of refurb?
Berthier Carbine Butt date mark.jpg
The original stock had a cleaning rod running down the left side of the stock. The forend ring has the half circle still there from when the cleaning rod was present. It also had the stacking rod welded on when it got the new stock.
Berthier Carbine Forend.jpg
I only have one original three round clip that I got years ago. It does work but it is as easy to drop a round on the follower and use as a single shot.
Berthier Carbine Clip.jpg
A nice little rifle that I am pleased to have.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Berthier carbine

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Good post. Thanks for posting about your new Berthier. Years ago I had one on my want list from the old Springfield Sporters that came by way of the Turk Forestry service. It was pretty cheap at at the time. However, Springfield Sporters suddenly took a notion to go out of business before I got around to buying one. I think the principle owner died. Then whatever they had for inventory, of complete guns, were auctioned off by the pallet load.
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Peter for better sighting for old eyes, I urge you to look into the Merit Sight.

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:36 am

Good images Peter, thanks......
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:44 am

Thats a real find Peter, it does look in very nice condition. Was it a private purchase or from a dealer?

Happy shooting. :D
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:02 am

Very nice thanks for posting.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:34 pm

Joe, the rifle came from a dealer who works from his house. It cost me £295. Deals are done on his kitchen table. He imports and exports guns from various parts of the world. My .310 Cadet came from Australia and the Arisaka I got from him came in from the USA. I have had five or more guns from him over the years. He has an small advert in Gunmart every couple of months, trading as Historic Arms.
Regards
Peter.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:11 am

Thats a reasonable price Peter, I will check out his advert, thanks for the heads up.

Joe