Chassepot rifle and carbine

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Chassepot rifle and carbine

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:58 pm

A friend of mine has asked me for some help with identifying these 2 weapons and also would like to know how to strip them down so they can be worked on..........
We think the are a Chassepot rifle and a carbine. Calibre 11mm needle fire with paper cartridge with internal cap.
The rifle is marked Manufacture D’Armes St Etienne Mle 1866-74. but there are no other visible marks.

Any help anyone can give or link's showing the stripping of the weapons would be helpful.
Attachments
P1020970.JPG
P1020969.JPG
P1020968.JPG
P1020967.JPG
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Chassepot rifle and carbine

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:40 am

After some looking on line last night I now think that the rifle is a Car de cavalerie GRAS Mle 1866-74 M80:
Attachments
Car de cavalerie GRAS Mle 1866-74 M80-VD-WEB.JPG
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
ArchFluffy

I do

Post by ArchFluffy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:31 am

like the looks of the long one. It might be one of those rifles that's tall as a tree when it has a bayonet fixed. Brass fittings too. They could look beautiful once fixed up.

-ArchFluffy