Got a Vetterli today

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

Niner
Site Admin

Really?

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:37 pm

Kind of like the K31's with the name under the butt plate. Why do the Swiss have this fasination with sticking stuff under the butt plate? :loco:
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:38 am

It's for identification. Every male must serve in the army and rifle, uniform, and accrouterments are issued to him. He must take them home and store them there ready for instant call-up.

Lots of countries stick stuff under butt plates, usually a cleaning kit. Pull the plate off a Garand and you'll (usually) find a cleaning kit.
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
wkato

Niner

Post by wkato » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:03 pm

As for your question about price, well it was a bit much with that sight and no cleaning rod.

Is that rear sight permanent or can it be removed? Cleaning rods will run ya about $100 and are very hard to find unless you are lucky,

I picked up a 69/71 with in the last year for $180 shipped. Within the next few month I got lucky and received a cleaning rod. Czechmauseritis makes a very nice reproduction sling for the rifle. Look for his add on Swissrifles.com

Wes
Last edited by wkato on Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niner
Site Admin

The story of my life on the price I paid

Post by Niner » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:50 pm

Glad you got back to the new board. :bigsmile:
wkato

Thanks

Post by wkato » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:45 pm

Good to be back! Have been out there floating around but no good reason for not coming here.

Wes
Niner
Site Admin

On the removing the butt plate suggestion.

Post by Niner » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:31 pm

I tried taking the butt plate off but the screws are so tight I can't budge them with the screw drivers I have. I don't want to bugger up the slots. Just have to let it rest for a while until a plan occurs to me.