French 1874 officers model revolver

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

USDF

French 1874 officers model revolver

Post by USDF » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:56 am

Anyone shot one of these or have one?? I picked up a 90%

condition revolver and was impressed with the quality and workmanship.

I've only been able to find one original 11mm round for this old revolver, but I did find someone that reloads for this extra thin-rimmed cartridge. He makes them out of .44 Special & machines the rim down.

Can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can try this "old one" out with my new reloads.

:USA:
"If you run, you'll only die tired"
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:16 am

Hi USDF, i used to own this 1873 model a while ago, regretfully i sold it!

I did a post on the old Milsurp site where Lebel gave me a lot of details on this pistol. I passed on this info to the new owner.

The round is pretty puny at about 700fps, but i am sure you will have great fun shooting your revolver. :D

I saw black powder rounds and simple reloading tools for sale at a arms fair in France, but i cant remember the makers. Maybe one of our continental members could help?

Joe

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/j ... htside.jpg[/pic]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/j ... ftside.jpg[/pic]
cmomm44

french 1874 officers revolver

Post by cmomm44 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:39 pm

I have somethinfg like that--told it is a Dutch Hembrug?? revolver usef mainly by colonial troops in the Dutch Indies?---anyone know anything about that story?---many of this era revolvers look somwewhat alike to me--have a few black powder reloaded wadcutter rounds I bought from Century Arms many years ago--believe they are about 44 cal---hate to shoot them since 'they don't seem to make anymore'--at 85 my time is limited and the gear will go to the sons and they can decide what to do with it