Learning about French muskets?

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

MD

Learning about French muskets?

Post by MD » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:39 pm

I stumbled into an antique arms shop in France a couple years ago and they had some well preserved examples of French flintlock and percussion muskets, Napoleonic era stuff I assume.

Knowing nothing at all about these firearms, where would be a good place to start getting educated, particularly on values in case I am tempted to buy one next time I go there to Strasbourg.

Armourers names to look for etc?

If I remember right, they were generally in the $1000 Euro range ($1500 Canadian)
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

SOME INFO FOR YOU MD

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:16 pm

I asked about at the club and one of my friends suggested this guy. You need to speak French or German I am told but he was born and brought up in Strasbourg.

Mr Jean Jacques SIPP, 12 rue du 22 Novembre, 67000 Stasbourg. Tel: 0033(0)3 88 37 54 44. The shop is closed Sunday & Monday.

Another possible contact point is Armurerie R Recht, 12 rue du Commerce, 67202 Wolfisheim. Tel: 00 33 (0)3 88 77 19 96. www.recht.fr He deals in modern target weapons and BP replicas but may be able to help point you in the right direction.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:37 pm

I can't be certain, but as I recall, French military weapons of the 'black powder' era were marked:

"Mfr XXX de YYY" or "Manufacture XXX de YYY",

Where XXX is "Royale", "Impériale" or "Royale"

any YYY is the name of the factory

Any use?

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))