A Good Swiss Fort Site

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

Niner
Site Admin

What about the internet and copyright?

Post by Niner » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:39 am

I got another site. It's about a particular infantry battalion that served in Vietnam. A number of guys sent in photos of their time there and the photos were put in albums by company and under the names of those who sent them and shown at my site. Also all photos were sent, with the contributors name, to the National Infantry Museum at FT. Benning. This was made clear to the contributors up front and any that didn't want me to do this could say so....and none did.

Anyway... a former co-administrator at my site took the photos and gave them to a site that started up afterward. His comment was that if it was on the internet so it is up for grabs to anybody. I have also seen some of the photos at another site or two as well. Copyright, once something is shown on the internet, doesn't seem to exist anymore.

I tend to think veterans pictures should be seen. Particularly the ones from a war. More photographs than we will know are pitched out with the trash after vets die....or more often in past years...after divorces. I managed, by lucky contact, to save one deceased soldiers photos from taking that trip to the garbage can.

When I look at some of the photos I've been gifted for my site I feel like something important has been saved for generations yet to come....because they are out there in cyberspace to be seen and because, more importantly, the National Infantry Museum has them.

The album is here...if you want to take a look

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/
Last edited by Niner on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

SORRY GUYS BUT...........

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Copyright of an image is just that - no matter where it is placed; internet, paper, magazine , toilet wall - ANYWHERE!

Now - if the author wants to enforce their legal right to protect their image then that is their right. If they post that image on the net or anywhere else for that matter and DON'T make their case known then that image is fair game in my opinion.

Like it or not, that's how it works. If you can't copy an image because the author won't let you then so be it. If you don't like it - talk to the author!

If you are the author and you are happy for anyone to use your images then that is fine by me.

If I don't want anyone to use my images without paying me for them then the first thing that I do is I DON'T POST THEM ON THE INTERNET

:roll:

I have not entered images in many photographic competitions for that very reason. The people who run them include in the rules that temporary copyright of any entry passes to them if they wish to use it in publicity.

NO WAY!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
RGRWJB
Sustaining Member

Duncan

Post by RGRWJB » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:02 am

Duncan

Thats a great signature

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields "

:lol:
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:26 am

WC Fields HAS to be the hero for any married drinking man :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I love his films :razz:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.