Bastille Day 2009

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

riptidenj
Contributing Member

Bastille Day 2009

Post by riptidenj » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:19 pm

To all you real Frenchmen, Francophiles, Francophones, collectors of French arms and militaria,
Une Glorieuse 14 Juillet ou Jour de la Bastille. 1789-2009. 220 ans.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Bastille Day 2009

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:26 am

Merci à vous :FRA: :FRA: :FRA: :FRA: :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
1886lebel
Sustaining Member

Post by 1886lebel » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:32 pm

:FRA:
I will be celebrating Bastille Day by setting up a WWI French display at a local French Bakery. There are supposed to be a bunch of French speakers and French citizens who live here coming to see the display according to the owner. She has a picture of me from last years event hanging in her store along with the original French poster vonmazur gave me when I meet him in Alabama. I will make sure to get pictures of the display.
My friend will also be showing up in his WWI Italian uniform as well.
Patrick
:FRA:
Vive la République Française, le Lebel et le poilu
Verdun 1916: "Ils ne Passeront pas" "On les aura!"
Fusil d'Infanterie Modèle 1886 Modifié 1893 dit "Lebel"

Vive le Pinard !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfM1sFqIK0
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:40 am

She has a picture of me from last years event hanging in her store........
Why were you hanging in her store last year Patrick :?: :loco: :loco: :loco:

Looking forward to seeing the pics :bigsmile:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
1886lebel
Sustaining Member

Post by 1886lebel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Here are a few pictures of the event that Tony and myself did for Bastille Day :FRA:
I am sorry the pictures are a bit dark but we were inside all day as it was 100 degrees outside and A/C was going so you can imagine where we stood around for the event ... Inside.
We had alot of people come visit us, there were a few gentleman who were in the French Army at one time, they liked my impression and knowledge on the WWI French poilu, weapons and equipment.
Alot of people commented that my French was very good considering that I had learned alot of it on my own. One lady who was there teaches French language and is going to give me lessons so that I can speak conversational French.
One of the gentleman was a military news correspondent/ photographer for a French newspaper, he had served in the Colonial forces in Indochine at Dien Bien Phu and later in many other parts of world. His last stint was in Balkans in the 1990's as now he has retired and is living here in NM.
We also had a gentleman from Switzerland who was in the Swiss military and served on the French and Italain border during WWII, he said he loved his Schmidt-Rubin M1911 he carried during his military carrer.
Tony's impression was also much appreciated as well, he looked sharp in that uniform :) .... Now to get him to CA so the Austro-Boche will have someone to really HATE !!! ;D. ( I got this 1917 dated American-French Soldiers Handbook and that is how the Austro-Hungarians were called, Germany was called la Bochie. American soldiers were called le Biffin (Doughboy) )
Patrick

Vive le Pinard !
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Good set of pics Patrick, thanks for posting them.
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:37 pm

That's an interesting event. I'm sure the patrons of the French bread company were delighted.

Good photos.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Loved the rat :lol:
Your picture, with facial hair, makes me ask - What was the French military stance on beards and moustaches ? Did they, like the British, actively encourage it pre WW1 ? Or was it not allowed ?
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
1886lebel
Sustaining Member

Post by 1886lebel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Prior to the war, moustaches and beards were allowed but had to be trimmed and have a military apperance. As WWI went into trench warfare and the French soldier was in the trenches for long periods of time, they did not shave regularly, beards and moustaches started to fully develop, well a long story short, it caught on. When these men went out of the front-lines to the rear the civilian population saw them and called them poilu, which in French is slang for unshaven one or hairy one, well the name stuck, this is why the French soldier in WWI was called a POILU. Now this name had been used before in France during the era of Napoleon Bonaparte though the term grognard (grumbler) was much more common. This name is still used for French soldiers particularly the infantryman.
Patrick

Vive le Pinard !
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:35 am

This name is still used for French soldiers particularly the infantryman.
Of course now it is almost universally important for French combat soldiers to shave their heads and have as little hair as possible :roll: :roll:
Duncan