Yard sale Vetterli

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

Brass Rat
Leading Member

Yard sale Vetterli

Post by Brass Rat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:27 am

My oldest son picked up a Swiss Vetterli for me at a yard sale for $75. When he originally called he said they wanted $60 and it was missing the rear sight. I figured it would be worth $60 just to be able to take it apart to see how it works. I probably wouldn't have given $75 for it since it needs new wood, rear sight, magazine spring, butt plate, and the forked part of the firing pin.

I'm not sure that it is worth what it would cost to restore it so I may end up parting it out.

The metal seems to be functional and in suprisingly good shape. There is no import mark and he was told that it belonged to their Grandfather so I am assuming that it was sporterized probably back in the 30's or 40's

It has a very beautiful striped buttstock that I think has been cut down a bit.

Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2
Freightman

Re: Yard sale Vetterli

Post by Freightman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Convert it and shoot it, one of my favorite rifles to shoot. As far as the sight a ramp 20 gage SG front sight fits, the rear you can fill the dove tail and drill and tap put a weaver rail on and get a red dot. I might add it is very accurate. If you do not want it PM me after Christmas and I might take it off your hands as is.
ordonnanz gewehr

Post by ordonnanz gewehr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:56 pm

If it has a good bore I'd go with Freightman's fixes and shoot it... :rebel:
Get 'em while you can...
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:57 am

Easiest rifle in the world to convert to center fire. Have to reload ammo tho.
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.