It's nice to be remembered...

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

Aughnanure

It's nice to be remembered...

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:21 am

The UN 'Police Action', often called the 'Forgotten War' is finally getting some remembering and Glen Innes has built a small, but very well done, memorial. It's on the Western side of ANZAC Park and faces East so I haven't been down early enough to get a good photo yet, It's winter :roll:

Here's the Menu from the Memorial Dinner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/ ... age0-2.jpg[/pic]

Your's truly is on there :D

Here's the other side, standard menu, that's why there is a price but this was free.

I had: Chicken and corn; Scotch Fillet and veggies; and apple crumble, plus a few glasses of dark old beer. Bonzer night.

The wife had the mushrooms, lamb cutlets an Paris Brest (what ever that was). Thoroughly enjoyed herself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/ ... age0-1.jpg[/pic]
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:35 am

Excellent and most deserved.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Now there's a new twist

Post by Niner » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:05 am

You aren't even dead yet! Is your name listed on the monument?
Last edited by Niner on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:27 pm

Glad you noticed :D :D :D

Yep, the ole moniker is there in bronze, it's to all who served, some have passed on of course, but on this one all who have lived in the town who were in 'the queer place' are remembered.

Eoin.
Leading Member

Post by 24626151 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:58 am

it is nice to be remembered and every year at our regimental reunion we have an absent friends toast. The sunday is usually taken up with a church service in Town but sadly not many ex rankers attend.

The dinner on the saturday evening is a bit more formal and it seems to fill with officials from regimental association branches whilst the lads go on the pop in town. This year I didnt attend as we couldnt stay in the local training camp at Nesscliffe. Hopefully next year we can so I will attend. Its a good laugh where you can point out expanding waistlines and receding hairlines! :bigsmile:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:21 am

Here's a shot of the bronze name plate

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/ ... CT0037.jpg[/pic]

The Memorial

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/ ... CT0038.jpg[/pic]

and a shot of some of the 'old and the bold'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/ ... CT0035.jpg[/pic]

On the left is the President of the local RSL and on the right the President of the Korean War Veterans Association, whilst in the middle is Captain Tom Stewart, Salvation Army, who is the Assn Chaplain. We were in 3 RAR at the same time. He must be well into his 70s now and was still jumping with the Battalion ten years ago as their SA Chaplin. Then I think that someone woke up :roll:

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:41 am

Great stuff, your Chaplin looks like a great type - I could go to war with him!

I am meeting up with 4 of my old platoon next month in Normandy. They are one of those Battlefield Tours so Elaine and I are going up st spend a few days with them. Should be a good laugh :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Thanks for the photos

Post by Niner » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:29 am

Must be strange to see your name on a war monument. The "Wall" being the monument that stands out in the minds of people my age in the US. But I'm sure you are proud to see your name remembered and your family is too.

My, and Niner Delta's, old Vietnam infantry connection is having a "regiment" reunion in a couple of weeks that includes our old battalion. They have a memorial ceremony each time for those who have passed on. Of course every year new names are added to the roll. The regiment includes guys who were on Bataan where they fought to the last and were captured at the start of WWII. Others fought in Korea at Pork Chop Hill and on the Chosin. Two battalions , including the one I was attached to, fought in Vietnam. One active battalion has spent time in Afganistan and Iraq recently and has lost a few men too. But no monuments to the living anyplace that I know of.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:34 pm

Chaplain Tom is a great bloke, and a man of the world as well as 'the cloth'.

He was a Vickers gunner in the battalion as well as a boxer and a good man who liked his beer. That I was somewhat astounded when he became a Sally Officer is to put it mildly.

He still recounts the tale of how he was fined L5 (no pound sign) for using the 'F' word in the Colonel's presence.

Eoin.
Leading Member

Post by 24626151 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:06 am

We in the UK dont commemorate survivors, we tend to let them get on with it unless its to the Govts adavantage as with Falklands 25th Anniversary!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com