PHOTOGRAPHS FROM ST MERE EGLISE MUSEUM

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

USDF

Re: PHOTOGRAPHS FROM ST MERE EGLISE MUSEUM

Post by USDF » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:17 pm

Great pictures. Unfortunately many of the original items donated to the St. Mere museum were sold by the museum curator & replaced with reproductions. Notice how new some of the items look. My father was in Co. A 508th P.I.R. & at one time I was going to donate the helmet, combat jacket and pants he wore on D-Day to the St. Mere Eglise museum. I am glad I did not otherwise they would be in some collectors basement display. What a dishonor to our WW2 vets. I thought the relics would be honored and cherished by the people of Normandy. What a disappointment.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:18 pm

That's interesting. How do you know all this as I saw nothing about it when we visited last year.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
USDF

Post by USDF » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:48 pm

Duncan,
I am acquainted with a French historian who relayed the information to me last week.
Phillipe Jutras was the curator for many years until his passing in 2001-2002?. There were problems with the curator/curators after his death. I don't imagine this becoming a public/media prosecution would have been good for St. Mere business so I presume it was quietly taken care of.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:06 am

USDF wrote:Duncan,
I am acquainted with a French historian who relayed the information to me last week.
Phillipe Jutras was the curator for many years until his passing in 2001-2002?. There were problems with the curator/curators after his death. I don't imagine this becoming a public/media prosecution would have been good for St. Mere business so I presume it was quietly taken care of.
Interesting but I would imagine impossible to get to the bottom of if it is true.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.