1878 Martini Henry mud puppy

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

DoubleD
Contributing Member

Re: 1878 Martini Henry mud puppy

Post by DoubleD » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:16 am

I see why the shipping is free:

The kukuri is only $99 from Atlanta Cutlery. http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-737-wwi ... kukri.aspx, same price form IMA http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/2442
Douglas
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:43 am

Yes...but I'll lay you odds both are the same as these that are $61.99 at Redford which also have free shipping. The ones at Redford are supposed to come from Atlanta Cutlery too....only discription varies in that 9/32 thickness rather than 11/32 from the Atlanta Cutlery advertisement. One or the other is probably a typo if they both come from the same Atlanta Cutlery stash.

The IMA is advertised as longer at 19 inches and has a thickness of 3/8".

http://www.redfordfilms.com/product/AC4 ... Kukri.html

But.... I don't plan on buying one of each to find out how true the discriptions are. :loco:
DoubleD
Contributing Member

Post by DoubleD » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:34 am

You could be right. I thought I saw the Radford at $130? I now see a WWII kukuri at AC for $69.

When I looked the kukuri's up there were a bunch of different models and a bunch of diffeent prices. Worse than buying a new car.

I wonder if they were a bit like the untouch-uncleaned rifles. Cutting cost to tomove merchandise

IMA and Atlanta Cutlery had an agreement on how the cache items would be marketed. They were sharing the cache. They have now separated. Atlanta Cutlery has started wholesaling to move inventory and IMA has not.

Doesn't matter, we are the winner.
Douglas
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:02 pm

According to Christian Cranmer's book "Treasure is where you find it", the Windless family, which was a partner in the purchase of the Nepal inventory, is involved in many things, including the movie industry. Probably Bollywood, or however you spell it, but Redfordfilms could very well have a family link. Since set prices are against the common practise in southern Asia there probably isn't any reason, by tradition, why two connected family sources wouldn't offer the same merchandise for different prices. But this is just speculation on my part. I have no idea who owns Redford.

Redford has a California address, but what I got from them came directly from Atlanta Cutlery and Atlanta.

Whatever, like you say, cheaper is better and more likely to encourage us to fork over some money for a pig in a poke.