Correct slings for SMLE mk3 and Metford mk2

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

Osh

Correct slings for SMLE mk3 and Metford mk2

Post by Osh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:21 am

Hi guys,
Could anyone let me know the contempory sling I should track down for these rifles? (and an idea where I might get hold of one)?

I thought the SMLE had a leather sling issued but have been advised that the mk3 would have been webbing with brass buckles...can anyone confirm this? As to the Metford I don't have a clue!

Cheers,

Dave :GBR:
bradtx
Contributing Member

Re: Correct slings for SMLE mk3 and Metford mk2

Post by bradtx » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:39 am

Dave, The web sling was apporoved in 1901 and would've become common, through attrition on earlier models. P14 leather slings were approved for "emergency use" and WWI manufacture dates have been observed on SMLEs, so general issue leather wasn't totally out of the picture. Sniper duty SMLEs have been observed with English marked P1907 slings.

Brad
Osh

Post by Osh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks Brad, very helpful. :D

Cheers,

Dave
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm

To expand a bit on what Brad said.

The Magazine Lee Metford (& Lee Enfield) used a leather sling. About 49 inches long. The first couple of shots on this posting shows that type of sling.
http://www.milsurpafterhours.com/bb/vie ... f=3&t=6197

These (in shortened form - about 44 inches) carried over to the SMLE. At least most of the pictures I've seen of the very early SMLE MkI had the leather sling. I'm going to disagree with Brad on the date for the web slinging. I believe it was around 1903. Initially it was a trial version with the current sling being introduced (and remaining unchanged) in 1908 with the Pattern 1908 web equipment. The first couple of photos in this post show the Pattern 1908 sling.
http://www.milsurpafterhours.com/bb/vie ... f=3&t=6522

The MLM/MLE slings are rare but are around. If authenticity is not a major issue any competent leatherworker should be able to make you one. Not sure about reproductions but wouldn't surprise me if they were available.

Pre 1908 web slings ? Good luck. If you've got deep pockets, lots of patience and the luck of the irish you may find one.
Pattern 1908 web slings are very common. If you've got an early MkIII you might be lucky enough to get an early dated one but expect to pay for it.
Reproductions do exist, most marked with dates around 1914, so be a bit wary of dated slings in excellent condition.
Be aware they come in many colours. Rifle regiments in the British army used to blacken theirs and the RAF ones are blue. Some were whitened for parade use.
Where to find them ? Depends where you are. Ebay usually has a few of the web slings and occasionally some of the leather.

Almost forgot the leather slings were re-introduced in 1914 when supply of web equipment couldn't keep up with demand. Known as Pattern 14 they were also produced in WW2.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Osh

Post by Osh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks Woftam,

I have no sling on the rifle at all yet, so will probably stick an anonymous green webbing one on while i wait for a more authentic example.

As you mentioned the colour variations issued, I thought i'd give you a chuckle at my expense.... I once swapped a standard green sling with a mate for a blue RAF one to fit to my No7. I tend not to 'refinish' my guns, prefering the ;lived in' look, but my No7 is in pretty good and clean condition and the RAF sling was pretty greasy, so I gave it a good wash....only to find that the 'RAF blue' had probably come from a felt tip pen! My oppo was in tears of laughter for weeks.....
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:22 pm

Live and learn mate, live and learn :lol:
Actually I think you can get the blanco (or a reasonable facsimile) they used for colouring the slings. Have a look at this site -
http://www.blancoandwebbing.co.uk/
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Osh

Post by Osh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:14 am

Thanks for that...very interesting site. I'd assumed that webbing was dyed the required colour during the manufacturing process rather than 'blanco'd' from a neutral colour. I'm learning a lot already from you guys! The sling did come up to a very light grey/green after I'd given it a good scrubbing...could it have been genuine after all, and I simply washed out the blue/grey blanco? I think I still have it on one of my rifles, would you know if an RAF sling have any particular markings?

Cheers,

Dave
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:45 pm

My understanding is that slings commonly carried manufacturers markings and little else. Sometimes you might come across a soldiers name but for slings to be marked to a unit or branch of service would be rare. Usually it was the rifle that was marked.
bradtx
Contributing Member

Post by bradtx » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:21 am

Woftam, You might very well be correct about the web sling date. I have 1901 penciled in as introduction and then 1905, but not now exactly sure what I meant. :roll: Perhaps within that range or perhaps the approval and the implementation year?

Brad
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 am

Brad,
I got the date from, I think, the LOC. Will have to look at my sources and maybe trawl through the LOC to confirm.