Yashica Electro 35 GSN

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:56 pm

Over 8 millions sold 1971 to 1977. Aperture priority with three shutter speeds with the fastest at 1/500. Yashica GSN can be found on ebay any day for any price you want to pay. So.. I got one some time back and got around to trying it out yesterday and developed the film this morning.

One draw back is you have to use a substitute battery in this hefty 1 pound 9 ounce range finder. The other is that you never know what shutter speed the camera is choosing and sometimes you can get some pretty blurry snaps.

Mine turned out to have a bit of debris floating around on the internal side of the lense which I didn't notice until after I had the negatives developed and scanned. Managed to fix that now.

Some minor failures. The camera was not always showing when the aperture wouldn't suit the possible shutter speeds. It also somehow managed a few double exposures...although the shutter wouldn't fire without working the film advance. Haven't figured out how that happened. And when not shooting with the sun to your back it picked up lots of flare and adjusted the shutter speed to the point the negative exposure ended up more than a bit too dark.

The lense is 45mm and does a pretty good job. I own worse rangefinder film cameras ...but I own some other rangefinders I think are a little better.

Anyway....fun adventure for not much money.
Attachments
DSC05274.jpg
DSC05278.jpg
img631.jpg
img639.jpg
img652.jpg
img665.jpg
img666.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:01 am

Looks like a nice little camera. I have, as you may remember, a Yashica MAT124 medium format camera and it is an excellent performer.
I just looked it up on ebay - some are going for $350 :shock: I paid about $30 for mine.

Are those prints 'as is' or have you worked on them before you posted them?
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:41 am

The first one I think I hit the sharpen once using Irfanview. They are as scanned. However there were some that were not up to snuff. Too dark. Some were not in focus because of camera movement etc.
Attachments
img671.jpg
blurr.jpg
img668.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:46 pm

Plenty of detail lurking in here Robert.........
Attachments
img671a.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.