The latest camera adventure 3000i

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

The latest camera adventure 3000i

Post by Niner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:23 pm

The Maxxum 3000i SLR film camera. From about 1988.

Got two bodies. Couldn't help myself at the price. I had bought from the seller before and I trusted him that they worked. Both came with straps. Note the "Walt Disney World".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192039913427?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

In any case... the 3000i is about as close as you can come to the Kodak Brownie era click and shoot as an auto focus SLR can come. It's even less bother... you don't have to turn any knob to advance the film and it auto rewinds at the end of the roll. And... I think.... no decisions to make was what Minolta was aiming at. There are no bothersome manual features other than you can you can turn off the auto focus and adjust the lens focus manually. You can't set a f stop or shutter speed or even know what the program is selecting for you. The autofocus system is a "phase-detection type" based on ambient light. It has two programs... Program and Program Hi-speed which chooses the highest speed possible up to 1/1000 of a second. There is also a self timer button with no idiot light to let you know it is working or to blink faster to show you it is about to fire the camera. It also requires a previous set focus point or the photo comes out blurry in self timer mode.

It's a just snap the picture and don't think about it camera. All things considered...quite utilitarian. No professional or serious amateur would have much interest in it. But....if you are interested in just taking some photos without caring anything about the science of photography... it's a good fun camera. It also helps that you are less likely to fall into the never ready excuse when a good passing subject comes along.

None of the photos attached were touched up any any way. Just as they were scanned is how you see them.
Attachments
main.jpg
top.jpg
P.jpg
The perplexing self timer. Not in focus and unsure of when it is going to fire.
The perplexing self timer. Not in focus and unsure of when it is going to fire.
example one.jpg
example two.jpg
example 3.jpg
example 4.jpg
bible belt.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The latest camera adventure 3000i

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Good renditions Robert - I think you should look out a plate camera next :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:03 pm

That was the kind of camera I wanted back in the film days, I was (still am) a point and click photographer.
Was never into high tech cameras with all the adjustments, guess I never understood it all...... :cool:
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Vern.. you have to get the tyro enthusiasm before you start caring about the technical aspects. It helps to read a lot of books on the subject as art and again as technical science if you want to be an "enthusiast" . But... the best photos have nothing to do with the technical aspects... or art for that matter.. unless you are Ansel Adams ... and in that case it is really all about masterly printing. .

To me a good photo is one you see once and if lots of years later a print is made and shuffled in with a lot of other photos and shown to you... you will remember that particular photo and that you had seen it before. The memory tells you the good photos... the thinking conscious brain doesn't. The sophistication of the camera and the skill of the photographer has nothing to do with it.... just me saying how I feel about it.

Either you get a thrill out of taking photos or you don't. It's like a lot of other things we do in life that we do ....like collecting old war weapons. The attraction originates in you and not it.
Attachments
img566.jpg