Yashica A TLR camera

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Yashica A TLR camera

Post by Niner » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:58 pm

I got this one today. The Yashica A TLR was introduced in 1959. It was advertised at $29.85 back then. Not exactly high priced...but it was a good basic camera with decent optics and was the start of a line of Yashica TLR's that continued with some added bells and whistles but not thought to be substantially better image takers. The back red window to see the exposure numbers as you wound a knob on the A turned into a side counter and lever winder and the introduction of light meters working on selenium being further developments .

I just shot up a roll just to see what it would do. I was using Fujifilm Acros 100 B&W film. Various first time not paying attention things happened. Turned the film knob thinking I was turning the focus knob and advanced past the first frame. :loco: I managed to get one double exposure without intending to. And... the light meter, new Sekonic, seemed to be off by showing over exposure readings, so I started guessing and guessing worked as good as the meter.

At least this camera works, compared to the last two I got off ebay....and it cost less than a quarter of the first one I sent back that didn't work.
Attachments
Yashica front.jpg
right and cover.jpg
left side.jpg
side.jpg
back yard.jpg
fawcet.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Yashica A TLR camera

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:42 am

I love my YASIKA MAT124, it has a fantastic lens.
I checked the light meter against my Weston and it is almost exactly the same readings so will go with it. There is a film in mine now but I have not had the chance to take any MF pics recently
IMG_6052 CROP.jpg
This is an early shot of the 'collection' in our gîte. It has expanded somewhat since then.
Will post up to date image later..........

A more recent pic
_MG_1337 web.jpg
A shot from it taken back in the 1990's
Attachments
CATHERINE web.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:35 am

Good portrait, Duncan. Very professional looking.

The Mat 124G was the top of the line of the Yashica TLR production years from what I've researched. They still bring something near $200, and sometimes more, in working condition. In fact, all of the medium format cameras within a pretty wide swath of "hobbyist" medium format twin lens reflex cameras go for more money than an equal array of much more sophisticated 35mm SLR cameras. And this is probably because of the detail captured in the large film negative. Either that or the film hobbyist wants to be noticed more for using an oddball camera in public.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Played with it some today. Did a by guess and by God rather than the meter which either I am two dumb to use it to get a reading I think is reasonable or it needs a new battery.
Attachments
example one.jpg
example two.jpg