Chinese action cam

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Chinese action cam

Post by Niner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:29 pm

The moderators know about the whole story of this action cam. I'll just give you the short version. I bought it on Amazon to be a water proof action camera that I could mount to a railing on my boat and.... be able to turn it off and on by remote....not all of them are advertised to do this.

What I got did a lot of things and had a lot of features and adjustments but at first didn't work by remote. All is now well on that front as the Chinese seller was more than responsive to the problem. It also came with a lot of mounts for attaching to all sorts of things including a helmet if you plan to do any sky diving I guess. I don't. It has a water proof case and all the pieces come in a zippered case as well.

The top of the line version of this is the GoPro and the GoPro is much more expensive and maybe.. much better. I don't know.

I went out to the local park and mounted the camera on the handlebar of my bike. I posted one of the test runs on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/236498900
Attachments
img992.jpg
DSC07365.jpg
DSC07369.jpg
DSC07374.jpg
DSC07376.jpg
DSC07377.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Chinese action cam

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:32 am

Ace! I'll still take one off your hands for the postage Robert :loco:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Took the two I had left and attached them to my boat. One on the rail around the windshield facing forward and one to the handrail on the bow facing backward.

The quality of the video was really good. The windshield mount was rock solid and the video came out without any shake . The one on the bow had to be placed with an extension to square up the angle of view. That add on produced vibration that affected the right side of the video at some speeds. The plastic housing for water proofing dampened the sound external to the camera but seemed to magnify the vibration noise.

I reduced the image quality by shrinking the raw data to put on Vimeo. Still decent video.

https://vimeo.com/241971187

https://vimeo.com/241964187

https://vimeo.com/241971430
Attachments
top.jpg
back view.jpg
front rail.jpg
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:37 pm

That is very impressive, the video is MUCH better than I expected. Really liked the one of your
boat pulling out of the harbor. Your boat really scoots........ :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:33 am

Vern, the boat isn't all that fast. Just sensible fast for what it is as a 19 ft. center console fishing boat. 35mph is about as fast as it will go. But....I love that boat. The last one I'll ever have is the best I've ever owned at the same time....not the fastest. The fastest would actually chine walk. I wasn't smart enough to know that it could have turned over. I was young and dumber then. I've been lucky in how many toys I've had in my life and never being actually financially above average...actually below average if I lived in other states than Alabama.

At our age, Vern, every good fun day is really important. Someday, not that far off, that boat will be somebody else's since my son and daughter don't give a crap about something that has been the best part of my life since I was a kid.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:26 pm

I agree about having fun. I never had a lot of money, but I too liked toys. Have gone through
motorcycles, sports cars, RVs, and vintage cars. But never had a boat, was actually in 2 boat
wrecks and that sort of killed my desire for them....... :shock:
I really enjoyed the toys while I had them........ :mrgreen:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 am

I was going to save the video's from two cameras to two discs. The files are too large to do this even on two DVD+R's. I edited and reduced the size for another one of the several recorded video's on Vimeo. The boat retrieval. We have it down to an art. If my boat he backs the trailer. If his boat I back the trailer. Looks like we knew what we were doing and capable of doing it. That of course won't last for long as I'm past the 70 mark and he is in the early 60's. But.... it does look like we have the dance down.

https://vimeo.com/243248904?utm_source= ... aign=29220
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 am

My question is; How long do the trailer electrics last after full immersion for every launch / recovery :loco:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 am

No problem with the trailer lights....yet. I had a steel step I added to the aluminum trailer replaced with an aluminum one. The steel one was rusting badly.
Cifuentes

Post by Cifuentes » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:52 am

I'm glad to see you're enjoying yourself! I need to get myself one of those cams. Awesome pics by the way!