Pawnshop K-98

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Pawnshop K-98

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Was in a pawnshop yesterday here in Tucson and they had a very nice looking K-98 with all the Nazi eagles still on it. It appeared to my untrained eye to have a very good bore, very little wear on the metal, nice sling, some unknown to me stamps in the nice looking stock, import stamp (machine engraving w/ TN in it somewhere) on underside of barrel, and nice cleaning rod. Most of the parts were forced match with hand engraving, and not very well done. It appeared to me to be a very nice rifle, almost too good to be true. Maybe that's why they were asking $450 for it. Does that seem overpriced to you? I was tempted, but am asking for opinions from learned men such as yourselves. :mrgreen:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Pawnshop K-98

Post by Niner » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Sounds overpriced to me....but the last batch of K98k's seem to have evaporated. A few months ago you could have gotten a decent one for $250 with marks still in place from several sources with a C&R. Looked at a few dealers sites that came to mind and they seemed to be all out. Most of the last batch came from Russian storage and still had the Nazi marks on them. I wish I had gotten one when the getting was good. I'll just have to settle for my two $100, marks removed K98's I got some years ago.

Here is a representative of prices offered from a major dealer in your home state.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php ... ts_id/1623

If the one you are looking at comes with the sling and is in good condition with all parts, including the cleaning rod, it would still be worth less then is asked. Make him an offer and see what he says.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:58 pm

These are just my thoughts Vern.

Firstly I doubt that it is an original cleaning rod or sling, especially if it is a Russian Capture.
If I was going to buy it I would want to look at the barrel out of the wood and see what the underside stampings are.
The stampings on the top of the breach should tell you where at least the barrel was made and the year.

My K98k was a Russian capture and cost me about $400 (Euro equiv) a couple of years ago and that was including re-chambering to 8x60s and the re-proofing costs. It is a very nice rifle and shoots well. I stripped and re-did the wood to bring it back to the original finish which wasn't too difficult. All in all I am glad I bought it.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Andy55

Post by Andy55 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:06 pm

It sounds like a Russian capture. I have one myself and it is a fine rifle.
The Russkies removed the lock screws, sight protectors, and reblued (blacked) everything including the butt plate. Since they just sent a bunch of unrelated parts down the assembly line, they later had to inscribe new serial numbers on parts of the newly assembled guns. They used an electric pencil to do so.
Not as cool or valuable as an original K98, but still pretty cool. They did not remove waffenampts on most of the guns, so at least you still have that bit or originality.
I got lucky and got one with a really nice bore. Apparently, my german soldier surrendered early, or at least he took good care of his rifle.
I paid $200 about 10 years ago.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:35 pm

I have a RC Vern, its in good fettle and shoots really well. It still has the Waffenampts although the swastikas have been centre punched out. I can't offer an opinion on the price in US unfortunately.

Joe

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Ummmm.... my original post (12-30-2009) on this thread is well over 2 years old. :roll:

By now I have decided not to buy it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:19 pm

I saw this in a flyer recently. This one is a "Bring Back"......so says the seller. Now if Audie Murphy brought it back maybe I'd consider it....naw..not really. Now since it "looks like it was never issued" makes me wonder who brought it back and where he got it from.

I've got two that were war spoils that made a trip through Yugoslavia before being imported to the US. Just about nothing matches as far as numbers go and the Nazi marks are mostly all removed. But.....at $98 each, eleven years ago, they were my kind of price....and were "real" to all intents and purposes.
Attachments
ScanImage001.jpg