The rarest German Mauser

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

sakorick

The rarest German Mauser

Post by sakorick » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 am

Last year I met an old acquaintance at a gun show in Kansas City. He knew I collected Norwegian K98's and had a G33/40 for sale. I took it immediately. Matching G33/40's are hard to come by let alone a Norwegian "turn-in". The Germans piled up their Mausers in the streets when the pulled out of Norway and the Norwegians picked the best ones and re barreled them chambered in 30-'06 as the US agreed to supply them with unlimited supplies of ammunition. However, the rifles issued to the police, including a few G33/40's and Norwegian Navy (very few) were left in the original 8X57 caliber. My rifle has all the matching German SN's and has all matching Norwegian SN's which is number 9. This is easily my rarest Milsurp and I hope you enjoy it.....I sure do! Regards, Rick.

Niner
Site Admin

Re: The rarest German Mauser

Post by Niner » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:02 am

Wow. Now that is a rare gun. I see in Robert Ball's Mauser book that it was a Bruno version that had the plate on the side of the butt for issue to mountain troops who could use it when climbing and not injuring the stock. He also says that the 945 was used as a code on the original ones made in 1940 and that your rifle should be made with a walnut stock as later ones of the short production were laminated.

And... I'd imagine it doesn't have any billboard size import markes on it either......thankfully. Your rifle/carbine would be a great piece for any collection.
sakorick

Post by sakorick » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:26 am

Niner wrote:Wow. Now that is a rare gun. I see in Robert Ball's Mauser book that it was a Bruno version that had the plate on the side of the butt for issue to mountain troops who could use it when climbing and not injuring the stock. He also says that the 945 was used as a code on the original ones made in 1940 and that your rifle should be made with a walnut stock as later ones of the short production were laminated.

And... I'd imagine it doesn't have any billboard size import markes on it either......thankfully. Your rifle/carbine would be a great piece for any collection.
Yes, Brno was the only manufacturer of the G33/40 and they were only made for 3 years....40, 41&42. When the Green Party took over in Norway, weapons exports were banned and 10's of thousands of these precious rifles destroyed/demilled like these in the Konigs museum all neatly welded together in a Mauser sculpture. Regards, Rick.

Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Post by Dutch Mosin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Again you surprise me with a fantastic post on a really rare rifle Rick.
I love to read about all these different weapons, allthough that picture hurts my eyes and heart.

For a split second it made me wish that I could collect whatever I could find, but....................................that would cost me a fortune and I don't think that my minister of finance would appreciate that. :mrgreen:

So......I made it my life's work to find as many different Mosin Nagants as I can find. :D

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin :NET:
sakorick

Post by sakorick » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:13 pm

There is more to the story. The Norwegian K98's are also very special. They were marked and issued for each branch of the military/police:

HÆR....... Hæren (Army), cal 30-'06
HV......... Heimevernet (rough equivalent of the National Guard), unknown as nobody's ever seen one.
FLYs......... Flyvåpenet (Air Force), cal 30-'06
KNM....... Kongelige Norske Marine (Navy) cal 8-57
K.ART..... Kistartilleriet (Coastal Artillery) cal 30-'06
NSB....... Norges Statsbaner (Norwegian State Railway Police) cal 30-'06 for dispatching crippled animals struck by the train. Each train leader was given the bolt while the rifle was stored in the engine compartment.
POLITI.... Polizia (Department of Justice & Police), both 30-'06 and 8x57 as they were issued in the G33/44 and K98

All the 30-'06 versions had elongated magazines and a semi-circular slot cut out of the top of the receiver. All 30-'06 versions had upgraded sights installed. They made a square notch out of the u shaped rear leaf and made a squared thicker post for the front. Seems insignificant, however, I assure you it's a big time upgrade. Over the years, I have found the Army, Air Force, Coast Artillery and Police specimens and have given up on the Navy and Railway examples. I have been told by Norwegian friends that there we many Army and Coast Artillery rifles converted while the Navy, Police and Air Force versions are more scarce. I can't find anyone with any knowledge in regard to the National Guard rifles and suspect they were never produced of left in 8-57 configuration. I will post some pictures if anyone shows interest in these. Regards, Rick.
Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Post by Dutch Mosin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Great info Rick.

Like I wrote in my previous post....I love to read about all these different weapons, so you just post those pictures.
Pictures make the story complete.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin :NET:
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Even though i don't own any Norwegian Mousers I am still interested in reading about them Rick.

I appreciate the time and effort you are putting into your posts.

Thanks,

Joe
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Me to keep them coming.
Leading Member

Post by 24626151 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 pm

I have seen one in 7.62 x 51 a Laminate stock model!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:24 pm

I have seen a 7.62x51 version also. York Guns had some a few years ago. I nearly bought one at the time and when I decided I should have one, they were gone.

Regards
Peter.