Not a Mosin or Mauser, But Better Than the Mauser and Almost

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Josh Smith

Not a Mosin or Mauser, But Better Than the Mauser and Almost

Post by Josh Smith » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:22 pm

... as good as the Mosin!

Hello,

I got it in my head several months back that I wanted a Mauser. I went to a few gunstores and they all wanted around $400 to $600 for one. Nope. All had bent bolt handles, too, and I wanted a straight one, being a lefty and all.

So I saw this thing in my favorite gunstore. Said "Amberg 88" or some danged thing on it. It had been sitting there for the better part of the year.

The gunstore owner said he wanted to see it gone, and he'd make me a deal. It had rust in the bore but looked OK overall.

I called up a friend who knows some about these things, told me some of what to check for. I told the gunstore owner that I'd have to come back for it after doing some research as I didn't know if it would be a wall hanger or a shooter, though I do like a project.

He told me that I know how he dislikes old milsurps. I know... too much research to find their value. He also knows how I like a project and to make an offer. I told him I didn't feel right doing so because I'd likely insult him.

He said he was thinking 50 bucks.

Not to pass up a deal, I came back with "How about 25?"

"40."

"30."

"35."

"Sold!" says I. $37.50 out the door.

I got it home and pulled it apart. One dent, very little surface rust -- just one spot on what appeared to be a hood on the barrel. The barrel was pristine under that hood. I had been afraid maybe it was rusted through.

Happily, it was not.

I was pushing what looked like mud out of the barrel, and after liberal amounts of Fluid Film and bore brushes wrapped in steel wool, it started to shine.

Not the best bore I've ever seen, but far from the worst. I've seen worse bores on Mosin-Nagants shoot well.

Here are some pics:

With shooting, the bore is cleaning up. It shines now and there are only a couple dark spots in it that look like rust.

I'm still trying to decide for certain whether it's indeed redone for 0.323" bullets. It does have the "S" mark which means the chamber and leade were redone but the barrel was left as-was. Supposedly it can take either ammo, and I'm getting a little over an inch at 50 yards and 0.318" bullets.

It's showing low pressure signs, though, and the neck is blowing way up when I fire. I'm overworking my shells' necks. This coming week I'll try some 0.323" bullets lightly loaded in it -- they are on order. (As I'm given to understand, gas erosion was a problem with the 0.318" bullets and the 0.323" bullets were made to seal better. Dangerous to shoot in unmodified, non-"S" chambers).

This rifle originally saw action in a Bavarian reserve regiment before being shipped to Turkey for WWI (and you know it had 0.323" ammo shot through it there!).

This is, in my opinion, almost the perfect rifle. The sights are precise and the barrel (mine is reenforced) is floated for all intents and purposes by using that sleeve.

I would really only change the bolt. The lugs are a bit weak, and really should have a third. It's already been modified to 88/05 standards.

It kicks hard, in prone. I'm not willing to put a recoil pad on it, though, as length-of-pull is perfect for me. Might end up investing in a P.A.S.T. pad as I have a bruised collarbone after five shots prone with 200grn bullets. I'm not a recoil wuss and do this regularly with the Mosin-Nagant, but this rifle is a bit lighter!

The tall Mauser sight blank from Brownell's worked perfectly, and now it shoots POA.

So, you-all reckon I made out OK for $37.50? :twisted:

Regards,

Josh
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Not a Mosin or Mauser, But Better Than the Mauser and Al

Post by Niner » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Made out OK? I'd say you did!

That Turk crescent reminds me of the boat loads of Turk Mausers that came into the US market back thirteen or fourteen years ago. Better than average Turks were going for $50 delivered back then because there were so many of them. The junk ones were about what you paid for your GEW 88....... and yours is a lot more interesting.

Back in 01 I bought a GEW 98 with Turk marks. Paid $130 for it then.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Nice one I reckon you did OK on that deal.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Nice buy Josh, I would be inclined to shoot cast boolits at moderate velocities in that G88. Much easier on the rifle and myself. :D

I have a Kar 88 myself and shoot cast exclusively in that. I am waiting for a nice G88 coming along myself but the the few I have come across are a bit to rough and a bit to pricey for me.

Joe
sakorick

Post by sakorick » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:50 am

I believe it's a GEW 88/05 as it has the S roll mark and has been re-serial numbered. The 88's had many different bore diameters over their life but the S roll mark indicates it was regrooved and rechambered for the 7.92-57 cartridge adapted in 1905. Yours was also modified to take the stripper clip. Interesting factoid is these commission rifles were never produced by Oberndorf. Very nice rifle and nearly free! :D I would check it with the go/ no go gauges.......especially the no go. Regards, Rick.
Serenity
Regular visitor

Post by Serenity » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:35 am

think im very jealous of this lol
ooooooooow whats this........... oh no............. hide it!!!!!
Josh Smith

Post by Josh Smith » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 pm

sakorick wrote:I believe it's a GEW 88/05 as it has the S roll mark and has been re-serial numbered. The 88's had many different bore diameters over their life but the S roll mark indicates it was regrooved and rechambered for the 7.92-57 cartridge adapted in 1905. Yours was also modified to take the stripper clip. Interesting factoid is these commission rifles were never produced by Oberndorf. Very nice rifle and nearly free! :D I would check it with the go/ no go gauges.......especially the no go. Regards, Rick.
Hello,

I did a complete headspace check and it passes all of them, go, no-go, and field, just fine!

This is a rifle I just want to love more than my Mosin, but can't quite do it... It's a fun shooter and a fine weapon, though.

Rick, you are quite correct Sir. It is indeed an "S"-marked 88/05 conversion. The throat has been relieved to take o.323" bullets and swage them down. This doesn't lead to appreciable pressure increase; pressure increase comes from an unrelieved throat.

I load 45 grains of Varget under a 150 grain bullet. This should achieve about 2500fps, but the squeeze-bore effect will make it go slightly faster. I've never bothered with a chronograph. Been thinking about it, but it's mild curiosity that I'd be satisfying and I prefer to go by pressure signs (or not) to tell me what's too hot.

Example: I tried o.318" bullets first. Though they shot OK, I got LOW pressure signs. I was approaching max loads (which I did not want to do in this rifle, at ALL!) and still getting low pressure signs, so I went to 0.323" bullets. It likes those a whole heck of a lot better. Still have some low-pressure sign, but not a lot. No more than I'd expect, anyway, with the low charge I'm using.

Josh
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Smacking piece and a bargain at the price. Good post, thank's :D :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.