Anschutz 54 stock modifications

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Anschutz 54 stock modifications

Post by Dave 101 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:37 am

I bought a second stock for my Anschutz 54 many years ago so I could convert it for a bench rest stock . Having reshaped the fore end and adding some width and a flat base , with the tip angled and an aluminium plate added , next was to make the butt stock longer and narrower with a thick aluminium butt plate .
The stock then became a bit of a monster size wise , so after several years of wear on the satin black paint it started to look a bit beaten and drab , so time for a face lift .
First off I cut about 2 1/2" off the fore end and 2" off the butt stock , I narrowed and rounded the sides of the forearm .
Then refitted the aluminium butt plate with a plastic spacer , then to give it a bit of a Tacticool look removed a section from the bottom of the stock .
As the paint was now the worse for wear out came the Nitromors , the modern weak stuff as its now very PC , no fumes to get high on . scrubbed it down with warm water and a scotchbrite pad , left it to dry for 24 hours , then sand away for a nice smooth finish .
Two coats of red oxide primer followed by an all over , more or less , pale green and 4 different shades of green lightly sprayed in patches for a subtle camo effect .
Topped off with 2 coats of matt clear coat , which is more satin in looks .

Well there you have it one modified stock ,

Dave
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Anschutz 54 stock modifications

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun May 11, 2014 2:45 am

Neat job Dave :)
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Post by blackisler » Sun May 11, 2014 1:13 pm

That looks cool, the 100 dollar question is .............. does it make it more accurate ????? ;)
live life for today as tomorrow may never come
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Post by Dave 101 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:17 pm

Its all down to the nut behind the butt , the rifle is accurate enough whatever coat its wearing its just the guy with the finger on the trigger that needs to be more accurate . I just enjoy doing work on stocks , I did glass bed it as well .

Dave