Mossberg M42-B

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

PeterN2

Mossberg M42-B

Post by PeterN2 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:45 pm

I was looking at a local dealer's website recently and noticed that this had been added that day. I thought I really like the look of the rifle and I thought I should have it. So the next morning I was on the phone to him as soon as he opened the shop. I asked a few questions about the rifle and said I would have it. When I went to pick it up, he said he had had a few phone calls after mine about the rifle. For once I didn't snooze and lose.
It is a Mossberg Model 42M-B that was a lend-lease rifle that came to the UK in 1941. Most were sent back to the US after the war but this one stayed. It has no serial number or US property marks. It seems the first 2500 out of the first batch of 10,000 were not numbered, serial numbers started at 2501. So it would seem that this rifle is one of the first 2500 un-numbered rifles. I have had it to the range and it shoots well. I can't do justice to it as my eyes are not as good as they were. The hole in the aperture sight is tiny. I think it is in quite nice condition for a 74 year old rifle. A few pics.
Mossberg Right full.jpg
Mossberg Left full.jpg
Mossberg Action right.jpg
Mossberg Action left.jpg
Mossberg Rear sight top.jpg
Mossberg Rear site side.jpg
The front sight has been altered I think. Where the slot is should be a blade and a ring sight so that either one can be raised into position. What is now the front sight integrated with the fixing screw should just be a screw, I think.
Mossberg Front sight.jpg
Mossberg No.4 Aperture sight. The hole is tiny.
Mossberg Aperture sight left.jpg
Mossberg Aperture sight rear.jpg
The makers markings.
Mossberg Barrel markings.jpg
Overall, a nice rifle that I am glad to have.

Regards
Peter.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Mossberg M42-B

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Lucky you Peter, looks excellent......
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.