SMLE Pattern 14 No.2

Probably the most popular caliber firearm in most of the world. Many of us have more than one. They also are very collectible and still cheap to shoot.
(The military trainer posts have been added here from a previous forum.)

Moderator: blackisler

PeterN2

SMLE Pattern 14 No.2

Post by PeterN2 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:37 pm

I went to the Northern Shooting Show in Harrogate the weekend before last and came home with this. It is a SMLE Pattern 14 No.2 training rifle. It is converted from a 1914 dated SMLE MkIII. The barrel has been bored out and a .22 liner added. The bore is bright and it shoots OK. The numbers match on the receiver, barrel, bolt, nosecap and forestock. The rear sight has been renumbered to match. The volley sight pointer is missing. The conversions were approved in 1916 so I presume it would be about this time the conversion was done. They were originally not issued with a magazine but later an empty box was added to catch the empties. The odd thing about this rifle is the magazine well has had a plate added to form an internal box to catch the empties. I don't know if this has been done by a local unit armourer or a later civilian owner. I would be interested if anyone has seen this before. A few pics.
Pattern 14 Right full.jpg
Pattern 14 Left full.jpg
Pattern 14 Left action.jpg
Pattern 14 Right action.jpg
Pattern 14 Rear sight.jpg
Pattern 14 Butt socket markings.jpg
Pattern 14 Magazine plate.jpg
Pattern 14 Magazine plate 2.jpg
Regards
Peter.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: SMLE Pattern 14 No.2

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu May 19, 2016 6:50 am

What a great rifle Peter. I have seen this magazine base creating a box on other converted early rifles but I do not think it was an official modification as it is not shown in Skennertons book..........
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Re: SMLE Pattern 14 No.2

Post by Aughnanure » Thu May 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Beautiful, Peter; I have one of these converted from an earlier conversion of an MLE to a SMLE Mk II, but mine has a magazine case.
Still shoots really well.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.