Gun show SKS

The forum for comments about auto rifles with military connections.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Gun show SKS

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:46 pm

Went to 2 gun shows this weekend, one really sucked and the other was a slight vacuum........ :roll:
1st show was new pistols and trinkets, 2nd had lots of rifles but still no ammo.
But at the 2nd one, a guy walking around with a Chinese SKS on his shoulder and a sign around his neck.
Asking $350, I paid $300 for it. Scope, 30 round magazine, and 170 rounds of ammo. It has the
replacement cover with the scope rings built in, a pistol grip, and the 30 rnd steel magazine. I think he
really wanted it to look like an AK47, whatever.....
Have an original style 10 rnd magazine and some surplus stripper clips on order.
Did research and found out it's a Factory 26 made in 1961, the bolt, barrel, receiver, and trigger group
all match. The stock is pretty good but one deep nick in handguard, well it is 54 years old, it's OK....... :mrgreen:
The bayonet has the sharp (NOT) side out, shouldn't the flat back of the blade be out and the sharp side
tucked into the wood stock??? Seems backwards to me.
Spent half of today cleaning old cosmoline out of it, but it's clean now and ready to go.
Anyway, will try to shoot it this week and report.
Attachments
DSC01001.JPG
DSC01002.JPG
DSC01003.JPG
DSC01004.JPG
DSC01006.JPG
DSC01007.JPG
DSC01011.JPG
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Gun show SKS

Post by Niner » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:56 pm

ON the Yugo and Russian the flatter side of the bayonet is down as it is folded up and on top when folded our and hooked in place. I don't have a Chinese version so I don't know what they did.

Outside of the Bubba plays Rambo look of it, nice buy. SKS is fun to shoot and doesn't do anything to your shoulder either...although looks like you have a pad on the end of that stock anyway.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:09 pm

It seems to me that your bayonets would be the logical way. Because at some point the user would probably
want to sharpen the thing and then having it on the outside would slice your left hand. But then again,
it hasn't been sharpened it 50 years, for whatever reason. Will do more research.

It had a rubber pad on it, and a strange cleaning kit in the butt stock.

Would like to take it out today, but it's (like my Dad used to say) "Rainin' like a cow pissin' on a flat rock."

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:32 pm

Some countries liked their bayonets with the blade up....Mannlicher being one of them.... but they weren't attached and folded under the barrel either.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:15 pm

I took a better look at it and just turned it around, easier than I thought it would be.........DUH.... :mrgreen:

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:38 pm

I was just reading about a firing pin problem called a "slam fire", after 1951 SKS's don't have a firing
pin spring, the pins are just loose. Seems that the pin can become stuck forward and it turns your
rifle into a full auto runaway, maybe not a bad idea....... :mrgreen: ........OK, maybe not a good one either.
Has anyone around here had that happen or know of it?? There is a place that sells modified pins
and it comes with a spring, wonder if it's worth it??

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:07 am

Niner Delta wrote:I was just reading about a firing pin problem called a "slam fire", after 1951 SKS's don't have a firing
pin spring, the pins are just loose. Seems that the pin can become stuck forward and it turns your
rifle into a full auto runaway, maybe not a bad idea....... :mrgreen: ........OK, maybe not a good one either.
Has anyone around here had that happen or know of it?? There is a place that sells modified pins
and it comes with a spring, wonder if it's worth it??
For piece of mind it would be I think...........
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:11 am

I wouldn't bother. How many people are driving around in GM cars where the ignition key could turn in the lock and shut the engine off? As long as you point the rifle down range the worst that could happen is a surprise. And... I'd be more afraid of driving a GM car...much more.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Did some more reading and it seems the main problem is old dried hard cosmoline that
never got cleaned out. If the bolt is cleaned properly and you shake it and can hear the pin
rattling, you are good to go. But still some debate about whether to oil it or not.
I will clean it thoroughly and let it go at that.

And I agree with Robert and will stick with FoMoCo....... :mrgreen:

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:59 pm

Got the original style 10 round magazine and went to the range, put 110 through it and it
is really a fun gun. The scope is crap, ordered a new one. At 50 yards was putting 9 of 10
rounds in the black on a 8" target with the iron sights, which is good for me and my
trifocal glasses...... :roll:
The scope was all over the place, sometimes missing the whole target, adjustments just
never seemed to work.
The trigger didn't feel very good, so did some more reading and then did a little gunsmithing.
Did a slight amount of grinding and stone on the sear and then some serious Dremel polishing
on it. It is soooo much smoother now, can't wait for the scope and more ammo to arrive and
then out to range again.

Still can't find any import markings on it, thought most of them had that??