8000 Surplus military 1911 45. pistols to CMP

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

8000 Surplus military 1911 45. pistols to CMP

Post by Niner » Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 pm

Seems like a great news announcement. Of course there are the hoops to jump through to buy one.... joining some bogus CMP approved club for instance. Arranging a local dealer to do the transfer, proving you are a citizen, etc. But before you rush to download the forms consider the prices and conditions.
According to CMP, the available firearms will be:

Service Grade $1,050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.
Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.
Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.
You can buy a brand new Remington 1911 for about $600.....same quality or better than issued I'd think.... and no wear and no pitting and no blemished, much less cracked grips. Meanwhile, the CMP will be selling "collectible ones " for more money. What is going to fall into that category is a case of your guess is as good as mine. :loco:
NuJudge
Contributing Member

Re: 8000 Surplus military 1911 45. pistols to CMP

Post by NuJudge » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:00 am

I could sell any of the rifles I have bought from CMP for a good bit more than I paid for them. Some of that is because a lot of them were bought at the CMP North Store, and I could see what I was buying. Still, I expect some people to be willing to pay more for these pistols than CMP sells them for.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: 8000 Surplus military 1911 45. pistols to CMP

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:10 am

I think the problem is that the CMP has gotten greedy.....or the gun lobby has put a hitch in their giddy up. Or...maybe......US military collectible gun inflation is going up faster than a hot air balloon at a risk your life festival.

Did a quick look and I bought a M1 Garand in good, tested, shipped to me in a foam lined box, ,and made in October of 1943 edition for $435. I also bought a Remington 1903A3 in equally good condition for $452. The 03A3 was in 2004 and the M1 a couple of years before and of course there has been some inflation.....but..