The Sistema Colt and Ballister Molina

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

The Sistema Colt and Ballister Molina

Post by Niner » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:25 am

I had a little time to kill and since the handgun forum has been a little slow I thought I'd do a photo shoot on two guns made in Argentina, the Sistema and Molina side by side.

Here is a link that tells about the Argentina built Molina. It began production ten years later than the Sistema's also made in Argentina but under contract with Colt following the Colt design closely and called the model 1927. http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/ballester.htm

The Molina cut a few corners while still looking like the 1911 Colt. The grip safety was eliminated. The trigger was pinned. The surface of the trigger was smooth rather than diamond cut like the Sistema. The lower back on the grip, later production like mine, has horizontal grooves rather than diamond hatch of the Sistema. The hammer grip is narrower and cross grooved. The front sight is about .057 wide compared to the Sistema which is about .064 wide, while the rear v sight is the same on both.
Attachments
sightblade.jpg
backgrip.jpg
twogrips.jpg
Note the trigger pin in the Molina
Note the trigger pin in the Molina
safetyshowingboth.jpg
Safety on Sistema has larger plate and fits into deeper groove in slide.
Safety on Sistema has larger plate and fits into deeper groove in slide.
Larger hammer grip on Sistema
Larger hammer grip on Sistema
Sistema top and Molina bottom
Sistema top and Molina bottom
cptbdrake

Re: The Sistema Colt and Ballister Molina

Post by cptbdrake » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:50 pm

You reminded me of why I loved my Systema. I guess I better dig it out and shoot it again. THe old rattle monster is still good for 7-15 yards :lol:

Bruce :pirate:
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:58 pm

I took the Molina to the range today. Just checking some reloads. It digests anything without a hitch.
Attachments
Molina.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:51 am

Careful you don't knock the target over with the muzzle :loco: :loco: :loco:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:20 am

My lane was the one with the little white postcard in the top right of the target board. Those things are kinda small . Have to get some larger targets. :bigsmile:

Actually, waiting for a range clear order to post a target. So busy yesterday morning there was even an official "range officer".
WyrTwister

Post by WyrTwister » Wed May 19, 2010 8:24 am

My Sistema , though refinished , has obviously had a few rounds down the tube . :-)

It is in no way a target gun , but it is loose enough that it will digest any half way decent ammo . Reliably .

I also have a 1911 that was built by Cols in Jan - Feb 1928 . It has all the Colt markings on one side and all the Argie markings on the other side .

God bless
Wyr