Lord Louis Mountbatten’s Side Arms......

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

joseyclosey

Lord Louis Mountbatten’s Side Arms......

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:12 pm

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Lord Louis Mountbatten’s Side Arms......

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:44 am

I was in the 'ships company' in Birmingham in 1977 when he came to present the Mountbatten Trophy to the communications training centre as we were the best in the UK for 1976. Hairs on the back of my neck still stand twitch when I remember him speaking to us.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:52 am

Why didn't he take better care of them? A couple of them look a bit rusty. Click on the attachments.
Attachments
1908.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg
rsm2ndbtnLF

Post by rsm2ndbtnLF » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Niner wrote:Why didn't he take better care of them? A couple of them look a bit rusty.
Mountbatten did take care of his weapons. Don't forget, it was the scum from the IRA who planted a bomb in his pleasure boat. He was MURDERED whilst on holiday with his family. I was serving with 41.Cdo.RM on Malta when Mountbatten reviewed the battalion there. At the time the British government were having a penny-pinching Car-Boot Sale... down sizing the Armed Forces, and the RM's were in the balance as to the decision to keep or disband us. Along with Prince Charles, Mountbatten was successful in putting over the case to keep Great Britain with a dedicated amphibious force.

Its the holders of the pistols since Mountbatten's Murder that you have to thank for the sorry state they are in!
Sephton Allen.
RSM : 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers [GWHS, Southern California].

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun, and in morning... WE WILL REMEMBER THEM!
riptidenj
Contributing Member

Post by riptidenj » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Yes, it's been over 30 years since he was sent to his Maker. The Colt M1908 in .380 ACP was the issued sidearms to general officers in the US Army in WWII, I wonder if the one shown was a presentation piece?