Shot my P64 and Cz82 today

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Shot my P64 and Cz82 today

Post by Niner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Had an urge to fire some pistols today. Took the P64 compact auto from Poland and the slightly larger Czech CZ82. Both use the old cold war 9 mm Mak round. Both are double action. Both shot well without any stoppage. The CZ82 holds more rounds than the smaller automatic and has ambidextrous left or right handed grips and duel sided safety which the P64 doesn't.

Both were fun to shoot up a target with. Both would do the job if you had to shoot somebody ......although I hope I won't ever have any future reason to want to do so.

The P64, due to its small size has a decidedly felt jolt to the small grip when you fire it. But it doesn't do anything to basic aim and function.

And....they both take down like the Walther PPK and the P64 even though slighly ugly, bares a family resemblence to the famous James Bond auto of choice . Those commies knew how to steal a good design when they saw one.
Attachments
IMGP1253.jpg
IMGP1255.jpg
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Re: Shot my P64 and Cz82 today

Post by Karl/Pa. » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 am

Did you have any problem loading the CZ82 mag? I have to use an Uplula due to the increasing spring tension.
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Both have pretty good spring tension. I didn't load more than about six rounds in the CZ at any given time because of the strong spring tension that you mention.
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:48 pm

My Cz82 just is not any fun to shoot past the 2nd or 3rd mag. It seems to beat the crap out of my hand nearly as badly as it's predecessor the Cz52.
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:13 am

Brass Rat, if you don't like the CZ82 because of the hand slap you would really hate the P64.

In this particular 9mm Makarov slot I still like the less techno upgraded Makarov as hands down best. Compared to the CZ82 with the larger magazine and the ambidextrous features both of my Mak's still handle and shoot better. Less is more.

Funny thing about the Makarov's is that the German made Mak's are all C&R and have been for years, and the Bulgarian and other iron curtain country Mak's are not.

In the photo the upper pistol is East German and C&R, and the exact clone in the bottom, except for no grip thumb rest, is not. Both are very dependable with no stopage and shoot with any 9mm Mak ammo. Very much dead on target at reasonable ranges too.
Attachments
DSC00795.jpg
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Another gripe I have about the CZ is that I have had zero luck finding anything other than ball ammo that will reliably feed in it. Also the mag release is impossible to operate with your thumb without completely giving up your grip on it. I normally release the mag from the other side with my middle finger which can get a bit painfull.

My most enjoyable C&R handguns to shoot are my P.38 and Star B. That is of coarse on those few occasions when I can get Bob to let me shoot "his" Star B. The Star barrel link broke last summer and I spent many hours with a flat file, rat tail file, and sand paper forming one out of a 1911 barrel link. The replacement seems to work just like the original.

As for carry weapons I stick to my Taurus PT-145 and Bersa Thunder. My preferance is the Taurus but occasionally the Bersa is a better option as the Taurus is a bit bulky for an ancle rig.
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:59 pm

My CZ82 has a problem digesting hollow point ammo and will experience a stoppage on fairly regular basis.... just like you say, Brass Rat.

My P38 looks like a "real" weapon and certainly was used by the Germans as one on a large scale basis in WWII, but sometimes mine won't operate smoothly with some hollow point configurations any better than the CZ82. My 9mm Star works pretty well with all ammo but seems a little hard to shoot good consistent groups with.

Now if I really had to pick a milsurp for a Clint Eastwood make my day moment, it would be something from the standard 1911 design and shooting the larger caliber .45 acp like my Molina or Sistema. They shoot any kind of ammo, ball or hollow point, and do it pretty predictably....to say nothing of making a big hole.
Attachments
DSC00797.jpg
Molina.jpg
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:26 pm

Most military handguns were designed for a steady diet of ball ammo. Another very frustrating endevor that I have pretty much abandoned is trying to get Hornady HP/XTP's to feed corectly in either of my M1 Carbines.

I would love to have a systema. My Uncle has a Colt frame left from when he moved the rest of the pistol to a wide mag frame. I have been trying to talk him out of it for 20 years.
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2