1895 ammo

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

1895 ammo

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:33 am

Today I got the pistol ammo I ordered. It is actual Russian surplus, not the Hotshot that I had before.
It comes in 14 round boxes for $4.90 a box, (I got 8 boxes) works out to $17.50 for 50 rounds, a lot better than the $29 I was paying before.
And it looks a little different than the Hotshot, a slow taper on the casing, not a ring at the top, and it's 108 grain, Hotshot is 98 grain.
The downside is it is corrosive (it's Russian, duh), oh well, I clean the pistol after shooting anyway.

Hotshot on left, Russian on right.

Vern.
Attachments
1895-1.jpg
1895-2.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: 1895 ammo

Post by Niner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:24 pm

I've been too cheap to spring for the real ammo in my Russian pistols. The 32 S&W Long has worked ok...just the fired cases stick a bit and sometimes are a little hard to punch out of the cylinder. I wonder if the different lip of the cases you mention between the surplus and the new commercial ammo makes any difference in the gas seal on the front end of a pistol load. Wonder if anybody has put a chrono on it to see if one or the other has any increase in velocity? You could tell us which shoots better to you for sure though.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Interesting rounds Vern, got any pics of them with the revolver?

Joe
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 pm

"Ask and ye shall receive" ...........sometimes. :cool:

I guess this is what you meant, Joe, so I took some pics.
Was looking at the Hotshot box and they were made in Serbia, never knew that until today... :roll:
If anyone can translate the printing on the box in the photo, I'm curious about manuf. date,
but doesn't seem to be there, probably on the spam can they came in.
My rough translation is, "Bullets for patriotic Commissar to defend most glorious Motherland." or something
along those lines..... :mrgreen:

Since I still have a box of the Hotshot left, at the range I'm going to alternate Hotshot and Russian
every other round in the cylinder, that should tell me if there is much difference.

First photo is Hotshot and the rest Russian.

Vern.
Attachments
Hotshot.JPG
Russian1.JPG
Russian2.JPG
Russian3.JPG
Russian box.JPG

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:44 am

Cheers Vern, you're a gent. :D

I have seen the revolver before but I don't recall seeing the ammo.

Joe
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:33 pm

now that is enlightening , id not seen the ammo personally but from the photos did not expect them to headspace in exactly that position , very interesting and great photos
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Great pics; I'd seen and handled the pistol years ago at an army school but never saw the ammo.
Very enlightening to see the pistol loaded.

Mucho gracias!
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:59 pm

Went to the range today and fired about 50 surplus and 50 Hotshot, big difference.
There is a very noticeable difference between the sound and the recoil, surplus is more fun.
Didn't see any real difference with accuracy, they all seemed to miss......
Also noticed the Hotshot casings just fell out of the gun, the surplus often (20-25%) had to pushed out with the ejector rod,
and sometimes (5-10%) even had to tap the rod with a rubber hammer to pop them out. Probably could have
popped them out with a good hit of my hand, but the hammer was easier on my delicate skin........ :mrgreen:
When I alternated them in the cylinder, it was pop, BANG, pop, BANG, pop, BANG.
I shot up all the Hotshot and as long as I can get the surplus, I'll never buy the other again.

The guy next to me was shooting a 50 cal. black powder rifle, every time it went off, I held my breath until
the cloud passed by..... :lol:

This was the best target, I was shooting all over the place, good thing I don't care...... :mrgreen:

Got a dirty look from one of the range officers today, they called a "Cease Fire" when a helicopter flew over,
so I pointed at it and yelled, "Skeet". He was no fun.... :roll:

Went out there about 2pm, was afraid it would be crowded, but plenty of room.
It was 77 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, t-shirts and shorts.................. :cool:

Vern.
Attachments
12-1-12a.jpg

joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:01 pm

Quote Vern..... "It was 77 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, t-shirts and shorts"

Hard work but someones gotta do it Vern. :mrgreen:

At my clubs Xmas shoot today we were looking at between -5C and 0C as the day wore on. It was back down to shivery temperatures again by sundown so I called in for a couple of beers and a thaw out in the pub before retiring to Maison Closey and a few more sherberts.

You can shoot your Nagant better than I can shoot my Webley btw, nice going.

Joe ;)
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:37 pm

-5 to 0 is about 23 to 32 at my house, my blood would freeze if I went shooting in those temps........ :mrgreen:
It is 79 today and 46 last night, the unofficial "Vern's Patio Temp."

It is a little warmer than usual right now, and will be in the low 80s by mid-week. But I can live with that...... :mrgreen:
Screw the polar bears, let 'em sweat....... :cool:
Of course the downside is that it's too hot to shoot in the afternoon, all summer long.

All my shots with the pistol are single-action, since it's nearly impossible to pull the damn trigger in double-action.
Does anyone know of an easy way to lighten up the trigger pull on d-a for one of these??

Vern.