New guy with scope question

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

BsChoy

New guy with scope question

Post by BsChoy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:59 pm

Hey there guys and gals, new to this forum and just picked up my first K98, it is a "bnz 4" from a local dealer who got ths from Century...I in no way am going to drill the reciever and was thinking of mounting a scope and wondered if anyone knew of a good no gunsmithing mount for the reciever area?? Its a long shot but if I can't find one I have no problem leaving it as issued....oh and getting cosmo off wood?? Any tips?
Niner
Site Admin

Welcome to the forums BsChoy

Post by Niner » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:45 am

I'm sure someone knows that visits here and will supply you with an answer as to how to add a scope without making some unreversable change on the weapon. .

Like you , I like my milsurps as close to original as possible. However, once upon a time I bought a 1938 short Turk form AIM that came with rings and was sporterized... for $79.95. But..this was already a bubba deal from whoever imported it originally. There was some hubbub about the C&R status. But... nothing on the rifle wasn't original...... the stock was just "modified" , so it was still C&R. But.... an original Turk 1938 of the intermediate length would be worth more than the $79 I paid for this thing. However, it is still not without its merits.

Stay tuned. Someone will know how to advise you.
Attachments
DSCN1249.jpg
DSCN1251.jpg
Rezmedic54

Scope Mount

Post by Rezmedic54 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:18 am

Go to Brownell's web site look at the scope mounts for Mauser's. They have one that can be mounted with out drilling the receiver but you do have to inlet the stock to make it fit. You may also have to shim the mount in order to not run out of adjustment on your scope which is not uncommon. If you have any questions on this let me know. Hope this helps you out. Kurt
Kurt Pietrzak
Maricopa Shooting Service
S.W.A.T. South West Airsoft Tactical
Gunsmithing
CCW Instructor
Maricopa. Az.
(520) 568-1820
amerkinsquid

Mauser mounts

Post by amerkinsquid » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:13 pm

Check this out. I've got one for my Turkish mauser and it works really good. You may want to purchase another stock for yours because it requires some material removal on your stock. That is why I have two stocks, one for show and one for go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAUSER-SCOPE-MOUNT- ... dZViewItem[/code]
You don't win a war by dying for your country, you win a war by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. George S. Patton II
Jawa

Try This Place

Post by Jawa » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:59 am

Try this place. No modifications needed to your rifle need be made. I am thinking about trying one. I have heard alot of good things about them.

http://www.iron-elite.com/

Steve
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:02 am

Hi Jawa,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post, hope you like it here and find time to post some more.

:bigsmile:
ImageImage
Bush Pig

Non-Gunsmithing Mauser Mount

Post by Bush Pig » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:30 am

I have the ATI mount, it works well, but I had to use small amounts of epoxy to keep the barrel clamp from walking:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/V ... 7203ef.jpg[/pic]

It shoots quite nicely, though...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/V ... 64c07c.jpg[/pic]
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:30 pm

Thats a hell of a scope you have on there.
Bush Pig

Le Grande Scope

Post by Bush Pig » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 am

Yeah, it's pretty big, and heavy too. It probably weighs 3.5 pounds. I like these ATN scopes because they seem to be able to absorb a lot of abuse and retain their adjustments.

One must take care to choose rings and mounts that will take the stress, however. The rings that come with the ATN scopes are not up to snuff. I chose Millett's Angle-Loc rings, and I have no torsion problems from recoil.

I am absolutely a big fan of bullet drop compensators, and this scope came with a .308 ballistic cam for a 2520 fps velocity. Handloading for a particular load combination is simplified, and I no longer have to worry about writing down or memorizing vertical click counts. The BDC cam is calibrated to 500 yards. I wish ATN made a 1000-yard cam for this model line of scope, though.

The best testimonial I can proffer for this scope is that it still functions well even after I accidentally dropped a 19-inch television on it.
TaosBob101
Contributing Member

Post by TaosBob101 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:17 pm

Darrels "Scout Scope" another choice. Mounts take the place of your "sight ladder".
Attachments
FireBall2.JPG