1915 Danzig Gew 98

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Oldbrass

1915 Danzig Gew 98

Post by Oldbrass » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:47 pm

Hey everybody,

I just started posting here after someone at Gunboards pointed me this way. I asked a question on joseyclosey's post about his 1917 Spandau and he asked if I would post some pics of my newest joy, so here she is... 1915 Danzig Gew98. Has a mismatched follower and missing rod but otherwise everything else matches. No duff cut or import mark. She looks like she was put away in a closet in 1918 and forgotten about. Other than some surface rust and mottling on the exposed metal, she's in pretty fair shape. The barrel is still a mystery as I haven't had the chance to really clean it up yet. Here's a "before" picture of the reciever. I don't have a good all over shot of the whole rifle. I'll post a better one later and the "after" ones when she's done. (Keep in mind though, I have a 7 month old boy who pretty much takes up all my free time, so this could be a while).

Glad I found you guys! Nice place you have here! :D
Attachments
reciever.jpg
*Bang* Did I hit it?
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:48 pm

Look forward to the before and after pics oldbrass,

Joe
Oldbrass

Post by Oldbrass » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:55 pm

Sorry for the long wait, but here are the "after" pics for you all. She cleaned up really nicely and the bore turned out to be pretty darned good. Below the stock, the metal still retained a lot of the blue and after a Vaseline rub on the stock, it wound up looking very nice. The firing pin tip was broken so I fit it with a post imperial 98 pin (I've kept the original of corse). I also scrounged up a cleaning rod, though it has no SN or markings. All in all, it looks good. I took it to the range and tried shooting some "good stuff" with poor results. I then switched to some Yugo which didn't even fire. :( Next I grabbed some good old (and I do mean old. '44) Turk. Better results but I did a lot of chasing the target. Groups ran about 6 to 7 inches at 50 yards. Oh well. The good news is that I found a fair trade for her with a friend who has a 1915 Oberndorf in similar condition and completeness. The Danzig fills a hole in his collection and I happen to know it's a better shooter than mine. I tried 20 rounds from the same bandoleer of Turk and had 2.5 inch groups at the 50, and that was at a far windier and colder day at the range. So anyway, Here's the Danzig. I have one pic of the Oberndorf with the Danzig. The Obie is in the back and the Danzig in front. Ignore the washing machine. It was the only handy place to put them at the moment. ;)
Attachments
gripproof.jpg
barreltop.jpg
receiver.jpg
g98s.jpg
*Bang* Did I hit it?