"Special Navy Rifle"

Forum for firearms from the Orient.

Moderator: PeterN2

RJPS

"Special Navy Rifle"

Post by RJPS » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:49 am

I have what I believe is one of these rifles. It resembles a Type 99 short rifle, but with the exception of the bolt, barrel and barrel extension, almost all parts are castings. The screws appear to be handmade, the threads cut with a die, and the slots offcenter. Manufacture is very rough. The internally chromed barrel has a different serial than the receiver, so I assume that the barrel was salvaged from a 99. Interestingly, inside the stock at the rear of the barrel channel inlet are pencilled characters which I have been told read "Nakamura". I assume that this was the assembler. What is known about these rifles? Were they made late in '45, in an effort to increase the supply of arms, without requiring extensive use of machine tools?

<p>
riceone
Contributing Member

T99 Naval Special

Post by riceone » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:52 pm

Shortages of weapons caused the Navy to develope what is know as the Naval Special. Sometime in 1944 it is beleived that the Yokosuka Naval Arsenal put this rifle together using training rifle components. The barrels, bolts, firing pin and spring are all steel and of the same quailty as early T99's. Since the bolt locks into lugs machined in the oversize rear of the barrel, the cast iron receiver does nothing but keep everything in line. Here is mine. riceone.
Attachments
DSC02259.JPG